Weber Performer to Smokehouse

Joe6Pack74

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
BrianZ
So a couple of months ago I bought a blue generation one Weber Performer grill for $60 at a garage sale. They were asking $90 but I offered 60 and they took it. It looked like they had grilled on it less than 10 times. They also garage kept it.

Attachments

• gen 1 performer.jpg
    gen 1 performer.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 316
So what I did was create a smoker to go upon my 22.5" grill. I used tongue and groove board to build it. It was built in layers.

Attachments

• smokehouse.jpg
    smokehouse.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 315
  • uncomplete-01.jpg
    uncomplete-01.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 316
  • uncomplete-04.jpg
    uncomplete-04.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 315
Made a smoke vent. Used a 3" hole saw and a 5/8" foster bit to make. Free handed it a bit and made a pointer. It has a 1/4" carriage bolt with 2 washers, spring and wingnut to make it work.

Attachments

• vent-00.jpg
    vent-00.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 308
  • vent-01.jpg
    vent-01.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 305
  • vent-02.jpg
    vent-02.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 305
Pig I cut on the scroll saw. Did not want to use any paint or stains. So I colored with a Propane torch. Will be doing a test smoke tomorrow.

Attachments

• pig.jpg
    pig.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 307
Have you discovered the tipping point yet, or you gonna wait and do it with a load of meat?
Ed

It is top heavy on the one side. That thing weighs about 40-60lbs. I don't usually move a smoker when I start smoking. I learned that the hard way from my regular Weber kettle that they can fall over when moving. Burgers and coals everywhere! Actually I am more worried about the plastic wheels breaking. :razz:

Nice looking work there.

Are you running a Vortex or deflector plate? Or, do you plan to run it like UDS?

I plan on using a large terra cotta saucer as a deflector. It should be able to run like a UDS for hanging ribs. Also as a cold smoker with something like the A-MAZE-N pellet smoker. In my other kettle I used a charcoal basket in the ash pan and that worked well.

Last edited:
So what do you plan to smoke in this little smokehouse? Interesting concept, but looks well executed!

I plan to smoke a little bit of everything. Hang some ribs, pork butt, jerky but also some cold smoking. Smoked cheese is a favorite of mine.

Back