THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have the regular Weber cover and it seems to do the job ‘ok’. I’m sure the aftermarket custom ones are better, mine has started to fade after 3 years. I doubt it will last beyond 5.

I opened your other thread about the next grill but didn't want to be a downer, went thru a bunch of cheap grills that I could have had the top of the line Weber if I had only known, hope ya have many happy years with it. ya done great

I bought an old Genesis Silver A, about 20 years ago. I used the hell out of it and loved it. Came time to buy a gasser for camp, and my wife was telling me to get another Weber. I was being cheap - “Nah, it’s not worth it, just for camp….”

I bought some cheapo POS at a big box store. Every time I took it off it’s storage place on the porch to use it, I noticed that, despite being half again bigger than my Weber, it weighed about half as much. Every time, after I’d use it, as it was cooling down, it would ping and pop. My wife would snicker and say “….it’s no Weber….”

It rusted out in fairly short order and went to the scrap yard. I bought a new Genesis for home and took the Silver to camp.

(But I never admitted she was right….)

Anyone have opinions on the cover that come with the Weber grills and how they do if always exposed to the elements (covered always of course)?

My Genesis lives on an uncovered deck and gets used year round. (I have actually cleaned 3’ of snow off to use it). I use the “stock” Weber cover and it’s …ok… Where it rests tight against the lid, it wicks water through, but the rest of it, where it “tents” out stays dry. I’ve had it for a long time, not sure if it originally wicked water and I should get off my ass and waterproof it or not. Might be less work just to order the nice one on Amazon that’s linked above, though.:razz:

That being said, I sometimes forget to cover it - “I’ll come back to it after it cools down…”. It’s been rained on and snowed on many times and is still holding up just fine.

That being said, I sometimes forget to cover it - “I’ll come back to it after it cools down…”. It’s been rained on and snowed on many times and is still holding up just fine.

Yeah, I’m not even sure I actually need to use the cover. I just don’t wanna have to keep cleaning the bird “residue” off.

My Genesis lives on an uncovered deck and gets used year round. (I have actually cleaned 3’ of snow off to use it). I use the “stock” Weber cover and it’s …ok… Where it rests tight against the lid, it wicks water through, but the rest of it, where it “tents” out stays dry. I’ve had it for a long time, not sure if it originally wicked water and I should get off my ass and waterproof it or not. Might be less work just to order the nice one on Amazon that’s linked above, though.:razz:

Thanks. I know webers are built amazing. I have covers on all my cookers. Sounds like the stock cover will be more than adequate for now. I've got a few nice furniture covers as smoker covers. Might upgrade later.

love my 2014 geneses, picked it up last fall cause our late 80's model lived it's life out. Out fitted it with grill grates, the wife is a cooking machine with it. I think it is sexy when she is grillin.

Been trying for a few hours to start this stupid thing. I just don't get it :oops:
ftZXdHhl.jpg

You need a Natural Gas model to use Natural Wood Pellets.

Anyone have opinions on the cover that come with the Weber grills and how they do if always exposed to the elements (covered always of course)?

The weber covers don't seem to hold up any better than the non-weber covers.

The most recent one I bought was this unicook, for $25.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F8TBJKC/

You also need to watch out inside behind the doors for moisture and rust.

Thanks. I know webers are built amazing. I have covers on all my cookers. Sounds like the stock cover will be more than adequate for now. I've got a few nice furniture covers as smoker covers. Might upgrade later.

It's certainly good enough to start with -- especially since it came with the grill. One of my SILs just bought the same grill recently and the cover looks decent. I haven't found anything that lasts forever if the sun is beating on it but you should be fine for at least a couple years.

My Genesis is the one grill that I don't typically cover and the only part that's been an issue is the cart which rusted badly early on. It hasn't gotten noticeably worse though for quite a number of years so even that hasn't turned out to be a really big issue.

Congratulations on the new grill!

Congrats! My 2011 Genesis is still going strong. It's been on an uncovered porch, wearing a Weber cover most of the time - but has gone extended periods uncovered. It doesn't get much use these days, but is still a perfectly capable grill and in great condition.

I know this is blasphemy, but almost all of my grills are covered with Broil King covers. They are very heavy duty and hold up well, even to direct sunlight in the desert.

Back