Weber charcoal briquettes

My experience with them this morning hasn't been great. I set up the WSM with the coffee can minion method and foil wrapped water pan. It was 38 degrees when I put the WSM together at 7:15 am. It burned very thick strong smoke for 1.5 hours. Finally at 9:00 it was still smoking but a thin blue smoke so I put on the beef ribs(5 lbs.) and 2 pork butts(4.5 lbs. each) all on the top rack. Vents are 100% open and 2.5 hours later it's hanging around 255 on the lid thermometer. It's 46 degrees outside now. I guess I'm saying I'm not too impressed. I did get them on sale at Lowes but doubt I'll use them again. And I'm a Weber guy!

My experience with them this morning hasn't been great. I set up the WSM with the coffee can minion method and foil wrapped water pan. It was 38 degrees when I put the WSM together at 7:15 am. It burned very thick strong smoke for 1.5 hours. Finally at 9:00 it was still smoking but a thin blue smoke so I put on the beef ribs(5 lbs.) and 2 pork butts(4.5 lbs. each) all on the top rack. Vents are 100% open and 2.5 hours later it's hanging around 255 on the lid thermometer. It's 46 degrees outside now. I guess I'm saying I'm not too impressed. I did get them on sale at Lowes but doubt I'll use them again. And I'm a Weber guy!

How many lit coals did you use for the minion method? It ran great when I did it on my WSM and I finally got a decent smoke ring with a ranch slather.

Best charcoal on the market and that's coming from a long-time loyal Stubb's user. The Weber briquettes are worth every cent - they're larger that the rest and burn very slowly in comparison with no chemical smell/nasty soot.

Lowe's had a sale not long ago for $11.99/bag and HD matches their price as well. Keep an eye out. I backed the truck up and grabbed 20 bags.

I bought 10 bags from home depot. Lowes has it for 12 bucks a bag. HD price matched. Its aweaome, clean burn and seems to last a long time. I last used it for 2 pork butts and some chicken thighs, they came out great. Ill be buying it again for sure.

I thought with the minion method it was okay to put the meat on right away. Especially since Weber briquettes are 100% natural.

Yes it is a 20 lb bag. Burns long and hot with less ash than KBB. The Lowes here has it $11.99. Regular price now. I use it all the time and haven't found anything better yet. Especially for the price. Even at $15 a bag I'd still buy it.

I did a brisket on it yesterday. One minion load...about a full chimney...kept 300 for 5.5 hours no problem. Love the stuff.

I tried it for the first time a few weeks ago, smoking a brisket on my WSM. Worked great, very happy with it. REAL long burn, averaging 280 the whole way, and it still had more to go. I'll be on the lookout for sales and stock up when I can. Otherwise, I'd probably still pay full retail.

I disagree with those who say there is no chemical smell like KBB. I found it to be prominent with the Weber, and it has to burn for a lot longer than KBB to get a clean burn. Once you get past that, it does last a long time with consistent results. Just my 2 cents.

I disagree with those who say there is no chemical smell like KBB. I found it to be prominent with the Weber, and it has to burn for a lot longer than KBB to get a clean burn. Once you get past that, it does last a long time with consistent results. Just my 2 cents.

This is what confuses me. If your using the minion method that chemical process will continue to happen through out the cook?

I have not tried it yet but plan to,if I catch it on sale.It is gonna have to be some really good briquettes to beat the lump I use.

I have not tried it yet but plan to,if I catch it on sale.It is gonna have to be some really good briquettes to beat the lump I use.
Lowe's has it for $12

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lowe's has it for $12

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thank you for the heads up.My local store has 22 bags available.Will pick up 20 tomorrow ( do not want to be greedy). Will report back.Can always give it as gifts throughout the year if it does not perform to expectations.🤡

I finally bit the bullet and bought a bag, it' even more pricey here, but the quality of the alternate choices is very poor so we'll see. I'll chime in after I try it out next week in the WSM. Normally I'm happy with some good restaurant quality lump I get at a big box store.

Got 13hrs out of a load for my brisket cook yesterday and it still had some left in it. Charcoal basket is about the size of a 18.5 wsm charcoal ring.

Last edited:
Back