THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think there are some folks who can make an issue out of almost anything. I'm not real privy to what drove the most recent changes, other than some general accusations of cheating by way of soliciting votes, or just voting for friends or some such thing. I'm guessing that there was a lot going on behind the scenes that I was not aware of, or I was just blissfully ignorant:shock:.

I did not have any issues with the way it was, and now that I am used to the way we are doing it now, I'm okay with that too, no real strong feelings either way.

As to the prizes, I'm guessing that that changed things for some folks, I found myself getting a bit to serious about the throwdowns myself, had to put myself in check a little bit. I will say tho, I enter more than I used to, and am really enjoying it. I have always enjoyed cooking, and have always had an interest in photography, so why not right?

As to the delinquent thread, I really haven't been around that long, about 3 years give or take. I checked out the delinquent threads a few times, and some of them were absolutely hilarious. I think I made a comment here and there, but to me anyway, it seemed that there were a lot of "inside" jokes so to speak. There were obviously several that knew each other, and the banter between them was great. Perhaps leave them going for a bit after this conversation is had, perhaps it will spur some additional interest. Again, no real strong feelings either way, aren't I just soooooooo helpful?:shock:

As for getting folks interested in doing the throwdowns, I think the current noobie throwdown was a GREAT idea! Already have around 14-15 entry's so far. Maybe try doing that once a month, every other month, few times a year, whatever.

What amazes me is how few people VOTE. If you look at the two current voting threads, they each have 350-450 views, and yet there are only between 50-70 votes, and looking back, that pretty much seems the "norm". I think that anybody KNOWS that they can vote don't they? I'm not real sure.

Bottom line I think, is that no matter how you set it up, there will be somebody who isn't entirely satisfied with it. As to what I have seen, there are pluses and minuses to both ways that I have seen.

I don't say a whole lot about who I voted for or why, because I don't want to be perceived as a "cheerleader" for anybody in particular, especially in light of the recent "dust-up".

Well, that is like WAY more info than you wanted, but it was some of the thoughts I've had from time to time, figured I'd get it all out here.

Whatever you come up with I'm guessing will work out, simply because of how this site is run, and those that run it. You all do a splendid job as far as I am concerned.

KC

I have only been here a few months, so I have a couple of questions, please.

1. What actually is a throwdown?
2. What are the rules?
3. Where are the notices?

I don't look at all of the catagories. I only have a limited amount of time, so I just usually look at the "new posts". In reviewing the list of catagories, I would only have an interest in the Q-talk, unless I;m really missing something. The other areas seem very narrow in content. Again, unless I'm missing something. How about a little enlightenment. Joe.

I have only been here a few months, so I have a couple of questions, please.

1. What actually is a throwdown?
2. What are the rules?
3. Where are the notices?

I don't look at all of the catagories. I only have a limited amount of time, so I just usually look at the "new posts". In reviewing the list of catagories, I would only have an interest in the Q-talk, unless I;m really missing something. The other areas seem very narrow in content. Again, unless I'm missing something. How about a little enlightenment. Joe.

Joe,

This should cover everything:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135049

Just a bit of history...

The two thread format was created after the whackadoodling (yeah, it's a word, look it up :p) was completely trashing the threads, making it difficult to sort out the actual entries and scaring off folks because it came off as a clique. This is a subforum of QTalk, not Woodpile, but the banter was fun, so it was moved to a separate thread.

If that thread is eliminated the banter should be somewhat controlled to prevent falling back into the original problem.

My participation in the Throwdowns has waned, because my cooking has waned. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I don't cook outside nearly as much as I once did or would like to now. And when I do cook outside, most often, I don't control the menu.

I enjoy the TD's, and feel it was more fun when there were no prizes and we could all just complain about the certificates that we never actually got. That being said, prizes are fun, and I think it adds to the overall competition. As for the delinquent threads, I think they add, or subtract, only as each TD is one that is popular or not.

Let me preface this by saying I'm under the influence of a 10mg Ambien (So I'll actually be able to get some sleep), so it appears to me I'm typing on a simi liquid surfsce with shift potential during key stroke aiming and key target selection while the post boxes are defining their own non linearities...so, I also haven't been doing much cooking of late either, and even when I do, I'm not motivated to post. I appear to be hovering in between a level 3 membership and a level four. I may come back, but it would be largely dependent on others that I miss returning to the TDs as well. Miss my old crew, I does.

I think it's fine the way it is. There seems to be plenty of participation.
I have no problem with the prizes and I think it's awesome that our sponsers do that!
I think it would be nice if we could find a way to showcase them more for what they do.

I have not participated for a long time because of many issues, none of them relating to what has happened here.

One thing I think i have changed my mind about is the dilly bar. I think I'm with Gore on this one. Let the voters decide. Over time, I think it has sucked some of the fun out of it.

I agree the higher level of prizes changed the TD's. I enjoy the delinquent threads - Maybe I am just that way!

I also really enjoyed the banter with the voting. The blind vote make it boring. I even miss the vote sometime because there is no reason to go to the thread.

When people discuss the reason they vote a particular way, it adds to the discussion. What tghey liked, how they followed the theme and spirit of the TD Etc.

For me it is about the cook and the spirit of the chosen cook. Although there is some great photography, I place more value on the cook. It is a BBQ / Cook forum.

Maybe the prizes should be blind and not the vote?

Just my opinion - You asked - Carry on!
Well said, I have not played since the scandal, the delinquent thread is not the problem . The big prize money has made the TD's into a group of throw down pros so to speak, and yes I feel I can BBQ with the best of you even if you cook for a living or cater bbq. I like the cook threads but they should be limited to three or four photos. Maybe others feel this way also that's why the newbie Td is red hot. Wish I was a newbie . The grill is still hot and I will be BACK! :boxing: YOU ASKED! :grin:

Well said, I have not played since the scandal, the delinquent thread is not the problem . The big prize money has made the TD's into a group of throw down pros so to speak, and yes I feel I can BBQ with the best of you even if you cook for a living or cater bbq. I like the cook threads but they should be limited to three or four photos. Maybe others feel this way also that's why the newbie Td is red hot. Wish I was a newbie . The grill is still hot and I will be BACK! :boxing: YOU ASKED! :grin:

If you go back and look at the throwdowns of the past you will see there has always been the guys that seemed hard to beat. No matter what you do it will always be that way, prizes or not.

There have been cooks on here that bought expensive camera equipment and followed CD's advice to a tee just to get a win and that was happening before the sponsors stepped in.

Let

me add to what Ron said. There was a reason the "delinquent" threads/sub forum was created. It was pretty much because of the whackadoodle type posts. People got tired of those posts and having to sift through them and they spilled into QT. That is one main thing we don't want to deal with again.

I say leave it as it is. You have the serious and non serious threads.

Why do I say leave it..........once you go back to a single thread, the whacka type posts will still be there. You guys (TD Mods) will then need to clean up and scrub threads and we go back to square one again: People will complain that the fun is no longer there, people will complain about the whack type posts, and it's going to really put the Mods in a difficult spot because they will then need to decide which posts stay and which ones are deleted........and that is the other action that creates problems, hurt feelings, etc.

As for the prizes, that drama spilled over into the Forum Mods area. We dealt with PM's, complaints, etc. We even noticed things like alternate accounts/ids being created to generate more votes and so forth. Stuff we would rather not deal with again or worse address publically with those individuals. I say keep the prizes simple AND keep the voting blind.

Bob

As for the prizes, that drama spilled over into the Forum Mods area. We dealt with PM's, complaints, etc. We even noticed things like alternate accounts/ids being created to generate more votes and so forth. Stuff we would rather not deal with again or worse address publically with those individuals. I say keep the prizes simple AND keep the voting blind.

Bob

We've already decided the Master's Series is finished, at least for the time being. It was a great idea in principle, but didn't work out as we hoped. We'll stick to the weekly smaller prizes as they are a nice bonus for our winners, plus the prize sponsors get quite a bit of exposure.

The only thing different we MIGHT do is still have two threads, but one would be entries only, no comments allowed, and a separate discussion thread that would be general/off topic discussion. This has yet to be determined...

Back