THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M

mkatts

a friend came across a guy cutting down a crab apple and a cherry tree. Knowing that I have gotten into smoking, he asked if he could have the wood. The guy gladly gave it away to get it out of his way.

So now I have 6 18" logs about 10" across of cherry and the same in crab apple.

I have a chargriller w/SFB. I have gotten into a good system using natural lump charcoal for heat and putting the wood chucks just outside the fire to smolder. Gives me a nice thin blue smoke.

With this wood being freshly cut, I know that it has to be dried/seasoned before use.

So my question is, if I cut it down to chunk size (little bigger than fist size) Do I still need to let it dry for 6-12 months? Or do you think being smaller and having more surface area exposed, the drying/seasoning time would be much shorter?

mkatts even if you cut it down to smaller chunks it still needs to dry out for a while,maybe wait a week and split a chunk,see what you think and so on.

M

Logs generally take longer to season than split wood. As you stated, chunked wood has more surface area which should help you out on the seasoning time.

Back