Wanting some feedback on uneven temps

sackedbysapp

Full Fledged Farker
As you can see by my thermometers, my temperatures are pretty good on the top and the bottom right rack but the bottom left side to the
Middle of the rack is just a struggle to get it anywhere near those temps that I’d like to cook at 275 or hotter without getting the rest of the racks to be running over 350. If I add 2 splits at time, it’s pushing 400. I have it level from wheel wheel and I run it level to just nose up. I’ve tried nose down my temperatures drop I’ve tried shutting my exhaust little ant an time and my temperatures drop on far left side, so that’s not the answer. Any suggestions?
The bottom readings are the bottom rack in the top readings are the top rack black is the left side white is the right side. Not displeased or have any complaint is very sensitive, one split and it really moves up in temp just like to see if I can run it better.

Attachments

• 47897C23-2762-483C-ABAF-D43098435833.jpg
    47897C23-2762-483C-ABAF-D43098435833.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 31EDA079-396C-4BBC-B937-0012BE535C25.jpg
    31EDA079-396C-4BBC-B937-0012BE535C25.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 35F91B87-DC01-42D6-ABC0-5A0BEC6800B8.jpg
    35F91B87-DC01-42D6-ABC0-5A0BEC6800B8.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 5798B345-6758-4396-85D2-4B3D20790845.jpg
    5798B345-6758-4396-85D2-4B3D20790845.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 135
Temps in an offset reverse or straight are never going to be like an electric oven.

There is always going to be that one non-variable: Fire is on the side....cook chamber is X-long away from fire that is on that side.

Don't expect temps to be the same everywhere inside the CC.

I think yours are pretty darn good from the pics of your two remotes. Not sure if you should worry about running it any better.

Smoke on brotha....don't sweat the small stuff!

I agree as well, 《40° isn't a bad swing for an offset.
If I wanted to try to get the temps even closer, my initial thoughts are, 1st, leave the exhaust wide open, close the intake as needed and wait for the temp to adjust.
2nd, I use smaller splits myself. Just guessing, but maybe a few small splits give more consistency than a couple larger splits? Just a guess.
Finally, I made a bit of a tuning plate with just an extra grate and foil to block and redirect some heat to the middle of the CC.
I can usually keep my ECB within ~25° from end to end.

If the temps are hotter on the firebox side, I would try a smaller fire and/or smaller splits. I've always run my shirley's wide open and control everything by the size of the fire. My thought here is that the fire is too big/hot, causing that side to run hotter.

But I've never cooked on a non-elevated Shirley.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I installed a heat deflector and tuning plates in my old OK Joe Longhorn. Still, closest I could get was 40 degrees from end to end.

Lots of great Q has come from that cooker.

The traditional advice when running a pit with both intake and exhaust dampers is to fully open the exhaust and control the fire with the intake. That will virtually eliminate the complaints of huge temp spikes and all the questions about split size.

IMNSHO not taking advantage of the dampers is masochistic and advising people to operate a pit w/o using that advantage is sadistic.

Some pits do not operate that way but when they don't the pit maker generally tells you how to deviate from normal operation or it's obvious when you don't have dampers.

What kind of pit is it? It looks a lot like a Shirley but can't tell if it is RF of regular offset.

When I had my Klose offset, a 75° difference end-to-end was the norm. I used it to my advantage by moving meats around.

Now I have a Shirley RF, it stays within 5° end to end. I use it to my advantage by keeping meats in place.

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

What kind of pit is it? It looks a lot like a Shirley but can't tell if it is RF of regular offset.

When I had my Klose offset, a 75° difference end-to-end was the norm. I used it to my advantage by moving meats around.

Now I have a Shirley RF, it stays within 5° end to end. I use it to my advantage by keeping meats in place.

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

25x55

Attachments

• 31167150-D929-4147-B79B-CB7C5A60C815.jpg
    31167150-D929-4147-B79B-CB7C5A60C815.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 67
There no reason for that, this high quality smoker.

It may be high quality but many factors play into temp variations

What is size of opening
Since reverse flow what is thickness of baffle plate
What is gap on far end of baffle plate
How much space between plate and first rack

Knowing these will help you determine if what you are seeing is good or can be better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read something a few weeks ago here that supposedly gave more even temps across the smoker; they closed the intake vent and, instead, cracked the door. The idea was air coming through the cracked door didn't have the same direct (fast) path through the firebox as it would coming through the cracked vent.

No idea if it really has any effect but, it kinda made sense to me. Heck, I always like to try new ideas (to me) so will play around with it on my next cook to entertain myself.

Other things to play with? Exhaust venting to control air flow/speed through the smoker. Slower (or faster?) air speeds could have an effect on temp variance.

All conjecture of course but thinking about it has me looking forward to lighting up soon :)

@sackedbysapp - I have almost the exact same pit. It's a Shirley 24' x 60"

picture.php

I cook just slightly nose-down. I get about 30° to 40° degree difference from upper to lower racks, but rarely more than a 5° difference left to right. I use smaller splits than you. Similar diameter, but I would cut the one with the measuring tape on it into thirds. I build a fairly small fire and cook with the vents wide open.

Just my inflation-adjusted $0.03.

@sackedbysapp - I have almost the exact same pit. It's a Shirley 24' x 60"

I cook just slightly nose-down. I get about 30° to 40° degree difference from upper to lower racks, but rarely more than a 5° difference left to right. I use smaller splits than you. Similar diameter, but I would cut the one with the measuring tape on it into thirds. I build a fairly small fire and cook with the vents wide open.

Just my inflation-adjusted $0.03.

I never thought of nose up/down for heat (I always did nose down for grease drainage). Something else new to try, thanks!

I use 8"-12" splits that are about the diameter of a beer can. I typically lay three down, then put three perpendicular to them on top, and then three more aligned with the bottom row. I use a Cajun Dragon under the fire grate to light them. Once my fire is going, I preheat additional splits on the side and add them to the fire one at a time.

My recommendation to you is to fine tune your angle. I have a magnetic level on my frame. and I set my nose just slightly down. When I use the pit nose up or too far down, I get wider variances.

picture.php

Nice looking smoker. I have a direct flow and will have the same 50 degree difference from right to left. The hotspot is the firsr 1/3 of smoker, wish I would have a 48 instead of a 36" cc. I always leave intake wide open or I get dirty grey smoke. Can play with exhaust, close it down will back up heat, open it up will make things a little more even. I like the temp difference. I can cook a brisket, pork roast or ribs on far end for supper and have a pork loin, prime rib, suasage, or chicken wings next to firebox for lunch, that I want to cook at higher temp. I have a LSG 24X36

Back