THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glad to see you found your way!

Why is this considered a Bludawg brisket?

Oh, it's really just a H&F brisket I guess.
Bluedawg has been talking about doing his briskets with this method (4 hours at 300, then wrapping in paper to finish) for so long that I've just noticed that's what some folks have dubbed this exact method.

I have done H&F before, usually with foil and I've done H&F with paper before.
I really missed the au jus going this way and I knew I would, but I wanted to just give it a go and see what the results were.

Don't you usually run hotter too Bubba?

I'm doing briskets in the morning using Bludawgs method. I'm looking forward to it. Great post Wampus! How would it be if I panned the briskets and covered the pans with tin foil instead of using butcher paper (which I don't have on hand) to get the drippings and help keep the briskets moist? If I do pan them, should I add any type of liquid to the pan for good measure in case there are no drippings to be had? How would it be if I injected the briskets with the Au Jus before I smoke them?

I'm doing briskets in the morning using Bludawgs method. I'm looking forward to it. Great post Wampus! How would it be if I panned the briskets and covered the pans with tin foil instead of using butcher paper (which I don't have on hand) to get the drippings and help keep the briskets moist? If I do pan them, should I add any type of liquid to the pan for good measure in case there are no drippings to be had? How would it be if I injected the briskets with the Au Jus before I smoke them?

That be Fine but may Mush Bark a tad - there WILL be Drippings unless you undercook it. No need to Inject them. Besides injections with Phosphates injecting is just for Taste Profile not to keep it moist.

Would it be better to wrap in foil than to pan the briskets? Is there a distinct difference in the texture, flavor and moisture in a brisket between using foil or butcher paper?

Would it be better to wrap in foil than to pan the briskets? Is there a distinct difference in the texture, flavor and moisture in a brisket between using foil or butcher paper?

Personally, I think the only real difference between using foil, pans or paper is the bark. I've recently been doing briskets with no wrap at all until I pull them off the smoker and put them away to rest, then I pan and cover.

I think most of the moisture and flavor comes from the meat itself.
Some, of course, comes from whatever rub you use.

SPOG has become my "go to" seasoning for brisket at home, catering and vending. Competition brisket, of course, is a WHOLE different thing. Gotta cook to the judges preferences.

Back