Walkerswood Jerk Marinade. This *stuff* is for real...

That's my go to Jerk marinade, tried a bunch of others, but always come back to WW. I once marinated some chicken for about four days (I actually forgot about it). Damn was that spicy! Mmm Mmm Good! :thumb:

Great looking chicken! Now I must find me some of that WW Jerk, been looking a while for a good one. This sounds like it might be it!!!
Thanks!!

A woman at work brought in some wings that were fantastic & it was my first exposure to WW marinade. I've had a jar around ever since. Great stuff!

How's the spicy and original compare in heat to Oakridge Jah Love. The Jah Love is too spicy for my wife.
Gonna pick a bottle up on Amazon to try. That Jah Love is awesome and would like to compare.

thanks

Jerk doesn't have to be overly spicy. That's a common misconception. As for flavor, I've never been a huge fan of Walkers Wood. Maybe I'll give it another try...after I doctor it up a bit.

I almost pulled the trigger on some at World Market last time I was there. I normally make my own (from a guarded recipe gifted to me) but it's a pain in the a$$ to find Scotch Bonnets here (and typical Habaneros don't taste quite right). I actually decided grow some Caribbean seasoning peppers this year so we'll see how that goes.

I'll just grab some Walkerswood to keep on hand in the meantime.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as a seasoning pepper, but it the areas of the Caribbean that I'm familiar with, a seasoning pepper has no heat. You get the flavor of a hot pepper, but zero heat. They are great to work with. Try to source some "Pimento" seeds from Trinidad...it's a wonderful seasoning pepper.

How much is a little heat? Is mild really mild..Just back from the Carribean, didn't bring home any Jerk/spices..
Thanks DanB

WW is very stong...flavor wise & heat wise. It's actually more "bold" on both those aspects than any other jerk I've ever had. I'm not a great fan of the flavor, but am willing to doctor it up in order to try to make it taste the way I want it...I have at least one open jar that needs to be used up.

My issue with WW is that it easily over powers chicken or pork. I find that I have to use it very sparingly, and even then the flavor isn't my favorite.

I do much better making my own...either wet or dry.

While jerk doesn't "have to be overly spicy," jerk is also not meant to be for the meek at heart - or in this case, meek of the palate - for no other reason than the fact that real jerk is made with scotch bonnet peppers (and not substituted with habanero's or other chili peppers), so it isn't going to be soothing on the tongue. And while jerk seasoning is spicy, it is also very tasty.

I'm not going to lie...I am a WW fan. A big fan. I find the flavor profile of the sauce to be most like what I had and enjoyed in two different places in Jamaica. I've tried jerk at many restaurants and twice at the Boston JerkFest. It isn't just flavorful, it's meant to be spicy. My only suggestion to somebody looking for a jerk flavor profile but no heat is to stay away from anything cooked with jerk. (As an interesting aside, it always amazes me when people talk of WW being too bold and then I watch them get the chicken or pork or whatever ready to be marinated...they ALWAYS use way too much jerk seasoning for what they're cooking. WW calls for 1oz per 2lbs of food. Chances are, you're using too much seasoning on your meat.)

So, sometime soon, I'll be working with this over the coals...

n8OID2Kl.jpg

I've read so much both here and on the Oakridge site about their rub and their almost painstaking "research" into "cracking the code [of] ... the essence and spirit of true Jamaican Jerk," that I just had to purchase some for my own indulgence.

My bias may be coming through, but I am leery with the ingredient list on the package; the very first ingredient (ie, the predominate ingredient) in Jah Love is...yeah, raw cane sugar. Sugar? In fact, the scotch bonnet pepper is actually the fourth ingredient in the rub AND it also lists "other chilies." Other peppers besides the scotch bonnet? (The website lists just scotch bonnet chilies, so I'd like to know which one it really is) Most interesting to me, however, is the inclusion of "ground...mushrooms." (In another glaring difference, my bag lists sh itake mushrooms, but the website lists porcini mushrooms. Which one is it?) In a jerk seasoning? The flavor code has been "cracked?!" I've looked at a lot of jerk seasoning ingredients and have never found mushrooms on the ingredient list...

The above of course, would all be a mute point, except for the fact that the website, in the long description of finding the true essence and spirit of Jamaican Jerk ( https://www.oakridgebbq.com/jamaican-jerk-chicken/), makes the point that the taster, after mixing the rub with peanut or olive oil (???) and cooking on a charcoal grill with lump charcoal, will be having "true, authentic Jamaican Jerk."

So, I'm up for the game and as I will not be the only taster, the opportunity to shine will be up for all three seasonings. I cannot be exactly sure when I'm going to be doing the cook, but it will be soon. I can't wait...:grin:

So, I had 10 full wings that I parted up, dumped the rest of the jar into a Ziploc, massaged the wings so they were well coated, put them in the fridge for about 10 hours, and then grilled them up. They were good, but the more we ate, the saltier they seemed to get. Now, I didn't read the directions, and as SS said above, I probably used too much. Think I'll either try the Jah love or the recipe Marty shared. Just like having another flavor profile in my arsenal...

While jerk doesn't "have to be overly spicy," jerk is also not meant to be for the meek at heart - or in this case, meek of the palate - for no other reason than the fact that real jerk is made with scotch bonnet peppers (and not substituted with habanero's or other chili peppers), so it isn't going to be soothing on the tongue. And while jerk seasoning is spicy, it is also very tasty.

I'm not going to lie...I am a WW fan. A big fan. I find the flavor profile of the sauce to be most like what I had and enjoyed in two different places in Jamaica. I've tried jerk at many restaurants and twice at the Boston JerkFest. It isn't just flavorful, it's meant to be spicy. My only suggestion to somebody looking for a jerk flavor profile but no heat is to stay away from anything cooked with jerk. (As an interesting aside, it always amazes me when people talk of WW being too bold and then I watch them get the chicken or pork or whatever ready to be marinated...they ALWAYS use way too much jerk seasoning for what they're cooking. WW calls for 1oz per 2lbs of food. Chances are, you're using too much seasoning on your meat.)

So, sometime soon, I'll be working with this over the coals...

n8OID2Kl.jpg

I've read so much both here and on the Oakridge site about their rub and their almost painstaking "research" into "cracking the code [of] ... the essence and spirit of true Jamaican Jerk," that I just had to purchase some for my own indulgence.

My bias may be coming through, but I am leery with the ingredient list on the package; the very first ingredient (ie, the predominate ingredient) in Jah Love is...yeah, raw cane sugar. Sugar? In fact, the scotch bonnet pepper is actually the fourth ingredient in the rub AND it also lists "other chilies." Other peppers besides the scotch bonnet? (The website lists just scotch bonnet chilies, so I'd like to know which one it really is) Most interesting to me, however, is the inclusion of "ground...mushrooms." (In another glaring difference, my bag lists sh itake mushrooms, but the website lists porcini mushrooms. Which one is it?) In a jerk seasoning? The flavor code has been "cracked?!" I've looked at a lot of jerk seasoning ingredients and have never found mushrooms on the ingredient list...

The above of course, would all be a mute point, except for the fact that the website, in the long description of finding the true essence and spirit of Jamaican Jerk ( https://www.oakridgebbq.com/jamaican-jerk-chicken/), makes the point that the taster, after mixing the rub with peanut or olive oil (???) and cooking on a charcoal grill with lump charcoal, will be having "true, authentic Jamaican Jerk."

So, I'm up for the game and as I will not be the only taster, the opportunity to shine will be up for all three seasonings. I cannot be exactly sure when I'm going to be doing the cook, but it will be soon. I can't wait...:grin:

You almost had me...but then I remembered that my wife is from the Caribbean and we don't over-season with WW. I'm glad you like it...and I don't feel the need to write a dissertation explaining why I don't. I simply don't like the flavor & feel there is too much heat vs. other seasonings. Like I said, I haven't given up on WW...I still have an open jar. You don't need much of it so it'll last a good few cooks. That gives me time to experiment more...changing the flavor is the biggest thing for me. As a matter of fact, the last time we used it was somewhat successful. It was actually quite good, but it was a nice blend of multiple Caribbean island traditions...not just straight up WW.

Really good jerk, like most food from the Caribbean, is a careful ballance. While much of it may be spicy, it is balanced with flavor...good flavor. If you want more heat, you bite a raw pepper...like we do.

We all have our likes & dislikes.

Oh...and for the meek of palate accusers out there...my wife and I have no issue eating raw Carolina Reapers as a condiment with our meals. There is super flavor in those peppers.

WW seasoning (not marinade) was my first venture into cooking jerk chicken after eating some at a local Jamaican restaurant that I enjoyed. I used it for a while before trying Jah Love and I was happy with Jah Love, though it was less salty than WW and probably at least as hot as WW hot. I've never had the real deal while in Jamaica so I cant say how close either are to authentic but I find mixing up a paste or marinade with Jah Love when I am in the jerk chicken mood to be more convenient than keeping a bottle of WW in the fridge.

I ... feel there is too much heat

Oh...and for the meek of palate accusers out there...my wife and I have no issue eating raw Carolina Reapers as a condiment with our meals.

:clap:

Additionally, jerk seasoning is not a "careful blend of other Caribbean flavors." It is decidedly Jamaican.

Hopefully, Mike in Roseville will share his experience growing the peppers here - and the closely guarded recipe!!

WW seasoning (not marinade) was my first venture into cooking jerk chicken after eating some at a local Jamaican restaurant that I enjoyed. I used it for a while before trying Jah Love and I was happy with Jah Love, though it was less salty than WW and probably at least as hot as WW hot. I've never had the real deal while in Jamaica so I cant say how close either are to authentic but I find mixing up a paste or marinade with Jah Love when I am in the jerk chicken mood to be more convenient than keeping a bottle of WW in the fridge.

Very interesting about the salt, given that salt is the second ingredient in Jah Love behind the sugar and in WW, it is the third ingredient behind scallions and scotch bonnet peppers...Funny how people taste different things.

Quick question...when you mix the Jah Love, what type of oil did you use? The idea of using olive oil in the mix just seems so far out there for me, though probably on par with using mushrooms as a flavor enhancer for the rub.

Last edited:
:clap:

Additionally, jerk seasoning is not a "careful blend of other Caribbean flavors." It is decidedly Jamaican.

Hopefully, Mike in Roseville will share his experience growing the peppers here - and the closely guarded recipe!!

Apparently you are unaware of different types of heat. Reapers are the hottest around, but their flavor is like an explosion. WW just brings heat & a flavor that I'm not fully fond of. It all has to do with a personal taste thing. I fully understand we all don't share the same tastes in food. I love jerk...I just don't think WW is the end all/be all product out there. It's ok, but not great...and for me, it needs a bit of help to be really good.

Also, I never said Jerk was a blend of Caribbean flavors. I said that, like alot of Caribbean cuisine, it is a balance of flavors (which includes heat). I also said that the last time I used WW I blended other Caribbean traditions with it and made a much better/more palatable product.

And this will tick off Jamaicans all over the world...but there are some who say jerk isn't an invention of Jamaica. "They say" it landed there from other Caribbean nations, was accentuated by the native pimento wood, and popularized from that point.

Jerk is always better made fresh.

Last edited:
Having been there several times (Nellies birthplace) jerk is more about flavor than heat. It is the balance that makes the final product.
I have eaten jerk on every part of the island and the heat varies, but the same basic flavor is there.
Now if you go to the Appleton distillery at 9 am be glad your brother in law who doesn't drink is driving.

Having been there several times (Nellies birthplace) jerk is more about flavor than heat. It is the balance that makes the final product.
I have eaten jerk on every part of the island and the heat varies, but the same basic flavor is there.
Now if you go to the Appleton distillery at 9 am be glad your brother in law who doesn't drink is driving.

My wife is from Trinidad. Real Caribbean cuisine is quite unbelievable isn't it?

Back