Contest Announcment Wakefield Rotary Campus Cook Off & State BBQ Championships

CBQ

is One Chatty Farker
The RI Contest at the South County Balloon Festival is returning this year.

http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=&month=&id=4826

For people that haven't been, this is a great venue - especially when the weather is good because there are balloons soaring over the contest site and dusk and dawn, along with some pretty good entertainment options. In nice weather, they can get up to 50,000 people at this festival.

It's also an auto-qualifier for The Jack.

The official web site (http://www.southcountyballoonfest.com) is a mixed bag, with some old applications on there. I have suggested to the organizer that they get this fixed ASAP - but the festival is on and you can get an application by emailing the organizer via the link on the KCBS site.

If you apply before the end of May, there is a discounted entry fee.

Plus ZBQ always does poorly in RI, so it's really good opportunity for someone else to go to The Jack :becky:

This contest is also in the process of being NEBS listed, so should count towards KCBS and NEBS TOY points.

Ya I could not find the link for the application on their web site and sent then a note last night...they responded quickly so app goes out today.

We had a good time last year. It's a shame the payouts are so low.

It's never going to be Sam's Club, but Bud told me he was planning to raise the payouts this year, and keep the entry fee the same. The low turnout on registrations so far is making him reconsider that plan. Hopefully he gets a bump in sign ups and we get a bump in the prize pool.

(Of course fixing their web site would help. Nothing scares teams away like seeing a 2012 application on the web site two months before the contest.)

Does anyone know how many are signed up, are there any spots still available? I sent an email, but havent gotten a response yet....

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
I believe it's around 25 now, there are still plenty of spots. With this contest being the same date as Troy, there will be a lot fewer teams this year. It's still an auto for The Jack though - they only needed 15 teams for that as it's the only contest in RI this year.

If you haven't been, it's a really nice venue, and pretty cool when the weather allows the balloons to go.

It's never going to be Sam's Club, but Bud told me he was planning to raise the payouts this year,

i really hope they raise the payouts on this one as we enjoyed the contest, but for the amount of teams that showed up, the payout was terrible. On the bright side if you ever you lose your car keys at this event, they are very good at trying to get ahold of you.

On the bright side if you ever you lose your car keys at this event, they are very good at trying to get ahold of you.
Thanks a lot, I just had to spend 5 minutes cleaning the coke off my monitor and out of my nose I laughed so hard.:caked:

Back