THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very nice build, How did you remove the top?
I have a SS barrel I have been planning and I tried a drum deheader, but instead of the material puncturing, it just stretches. The nature of SS I guess, I plan to give cutting it a try.

Jig saw, metal blade...........

Oh ya, my drum:
th_DSCF5466.jpg

Paul B
SS UDS

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback.

We all know that everything on the drum was developed by somebody else and shared. I read that dang thread three times.

Very nice drum there... I hope to actually start looking for hte pieces parts to mine shortly - I have the drum but that's it...keeping it real simple the way I like it

So the Bar-B-Kettle bottom with the Rutland gasket is not fastened to the drum? It just sits on top of the drum like the lid?

Beautiful build.

I have questions on the BGE Draft Door.....

How far was it open to hold your pit temps, and did you get an even burn in the charcoal basket? (By even I mean did the burn pattern favor the direction of the air coming in the draft door?)

I have questions on the BGE Draft Door.....

How far was it open to hold your pit temps, and did you get an even burn in the charcoal basket? (By even I mean did the burn pattern favor the direction of the air coming in the draft door?)

I had it about half open for the 300 degree part -- the top vent was always wide open. The temp was in the mid 20's with some wind and snow. I used R.O. Lump.

Very clean even burn. I haven't built a charcoal box yet so I just used the grate and ring from a 18.5 WSM, which I elevated with three 3 1/2" x 1/2" bolts. I made sure the top vent was on the opposite side of the drum. I suspect that the design of the WSM ring, with those large round holes, helped to produce the even burn by making it easier for air to enter from below.

Has your hearing come back yet? I'm building two more SS UDS right now- neighbors must love me!
Man, it was LOUD!
I just kept at it without lifting my head. I'm sure someone was looking out to see what I was up to. My jigsaw is a mere 3.5 amp B&D cheapo, I got it over 10 yrs ago for 10 bucks. It did a great job.

Back