THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I like BBs' idea w/ the bricks and stuff. My UDS is Ughly so I put wheels on it so I can roll it out of sight when not in use.

Seems the simple answer would be to put wheels on the bottom and roll it out of the way when you aren't using it.

Seems like dirt would be a very good insulator. Think about all the pig roasts in pits dug into the ground, Cowgirl had a post not long ago about one.

My concern would be that the dirt would hold moisture and rust your drum more quickly.

Dirt is a really good insulator and has been used time and time again for that reason.. Another good reason to use dirt would be to hide that uds!! Just sayin!

I still think it would be fuel hog because dirt has an R value of around 1. If the barrel is buried in dirt with no insulation between the dirt and the barrel, the dirt against the barrel would act like a large heat sink until it is heated up. With the large thermal mass of dirt, once it's heated up, it will hold the heat for a long time.

The pig roasts in the ground use a lot of fuel to heat up the dirt...

Like they say, only one way to find out... go for it and let us know how it turns out and we all would be wiser... :-D

Papa

Back