Vertical Non-Insulated Non-Offset

Gabo

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Hi Guys,

I'm new around these parts, but have been reading a lot about smoker builds and am impressed with the amount of knowledge you guys have been sharing. I have gone through most Vertical Smoker build threads, but have not found what I have been looking for.

I have been through several UDS over the years and decided I want to step it up a notch. As you know, the UDS is fun and cheap, but they are tough to clean and don't last very long. I want to build a new vertical smoker, but want to keep it light and simple. I wanted to do a single pit with two doors, one for the smoke chamber and another for the firebox, using a water pan as a heat deflector. I would use all 11 gauge stainless steel. I don't really need that much insulation in South Florida, want to use coal with a bit of wood as fuel and need it to be stainless because everything rusts down here. Probably would go for 24" x 24" x 48", using the first 12-14 inches for the firebox.

I wanted to have a commercial model to clone, but seems that this setup I have in mind is not common at all. Vertical smokers are either offset, and if not, they are insulated, do you guys know why this is?

Do you see a downside to doing this build straight up vertical with no offset and no insulation? Kind of like a rectangular UDS with doors on the sides?

Would you recommend offset w/ tuning plates vs this setup? I just dont get why offset is a thing for vertical smokers I guess.

Do you think I would need insulation or is 11 gauge stainless enough?

Thanks guys,

Back