THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cherrywood

Knows what a fatty is.
I've made a lot of summer sausage, jerky, ground & formed bacon, etc... over the years but haven't smoked much for venison cuts. I bagged a nice little doe a couple weeks ago and decided to give it a whirl with a whole hind quarter.

I marinaded it with a whole bottle of Stubb's beef marinade with a cup of brown sugar for 48 hours then added a bacon wrap on top with an extra dusting of brown sugar and black pepper.

She went on the UDS at around 300 deg until the IT was 165. I foiled it with some butter and a splash of beef broth to keep it from drying out too much. I took it off at 205 and rested it for 4 hours prior to pulling. I tossed it with the "pan" juices and a bit of Blues Hog prior to serving. Darn good stuff but next time I'm going to take it off at @ 145 and slice it. My nibble at 165 was ungodly good.
IMG_2530[1].jpg

at 165
IMG_2531[1].jpg
IMG_2539[1].jpg

Heck ya. Love venison!!! Got a new Sako A7 for my birthday. Been seeing plenty of deer in our alfalfa field. Going to have to try this, never done a whole hindquarter. That looks great.

Question:

So next time are you going to strictly take it off at 145 and slice and serve?

No foil and no resting?

Deer season with guns starts soon here!

Back