Vacuum sealer...what kind do you have?

I have had 4 different models in 6 years....Listen to this guy, spend the extra money now and be happy 6 years from now!

Great thread - timely for me as I've been thinking about getting a vacuum sealer. Question though - how much of a factor is being able to buy the bags? Doesn't foodsaver have a big marketshare? Thinking it might be easier to find foodsaver bags when you need them then it would be other brands. Or is this not really a consideration?

What other things are a consideration?

How much better does food really do in a vacuum sealer compared to just a ziplock baggie that you're able to get most of the air out of?

Thanks.

J

Great thread - timely for me as I've been thinking about getting a vacuum sealer. Question though - how much of a factor is being able to buy the bags? Doesn't foodsaver have a big marketshare? Thinking it might be easier to find foodsaver bags when you need them then it would be other brands. Or is this not really a consideration?

What other things are a consideration?

How much better does food really do in a vacuum sealer compared to just a ziplock baggie that you're able to get most of the air out of?

Thanks.

J

I dont know the cost for the cabelas bags. Costco does sell a 6 pack, 2 8x? and 4 11x? for about $40 bucks here in So Cal. When the FoodSavers work, there is no comparison to a zip lock. I have pulled stuff out of the freeze after 3 years, served it and seen no reduction in quality...But hey, it was my BBQ to begin with so...

Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer - Bought it on sale and got a deal on the different size bags. Cordless and actually works good - just took a rib eye out of the freezer thats been in a few months and after thawing looks fresh.

Back