UDS - what height between grills required for pork butt?

Stevenscustomguitars

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm trying to decide where to put my grates. I'll probably only use one but would like to have the option of two when I find a weber lid.

My barrel internal height is 33.5"
Charcoal grate is 3" off the bottom
Basket is 9" high
If, as most suggest, I place the grate at 24" about the charcoal grate, that leaves 6.5" from the top. Is that enough to get a 2nd level in at the top if I get a weber lid? I want to be sure I have enough height for pork butt, chickens etc.

Can I have the bottom grate lower than 24" from the charcoal grate?

Cheers
Dave

A lot depends on the size of chickens/butts but typically 5 5/8 inches between racks is required at a minimum. On my dome lid drum I have one rack with the 5 5/8 legs ( 6 inch carriage bolts for legs), the other is about 7 5/8 ( 8 inch carriage bolts for legs).

Thanks,That bottom rack looks pretty low, how far is it above the charcoal grate? Do you use a diffuser? Butts look great by the way.
My bottom rack is 18 inches up from the bottom of the drum, I use that rack to hold a drippin's pan or diffuser when required, both cooking racks use 4) 6 inch carriage bolts ( distance between racks is 5 5/8's )for legs that stand on each rack below and allow swapping racks when required thru a cook. Thanks to N8man for the carriage bolt idea, it works alot better for me than how I used to have to tilt the racks to get them in/out past the bolts thru the side, the bolts are also legs to set/stand down on the ground and keep your food off a table or ground.
Thanks

My bottom rack is 18 inches up from the bottom of the drum, I use that rack to hold a drippin's pan or diffuser when required, both cooking racks use 4) 6 inch carriage bolts ( distance between racks is 5 5/8's )for legs that stand on each rack below and allow swapping racks when required thru a cook. Thanks to N8man for the carriage bolt idea, it works alot better for me than how I used to have to tilt the racks to get them in/out past the bolts thru the side, the bolts are also legs to set/stand down on the ground and keep your food off a table or ground.
Thanks

Thanks, I guess your barrel is taller than mine as you seem to still have a few inches above the second grate. From the bottom inside to the underside of the flat lid is about 33" on mine so i've put the grate about 6 5/8" from the top lip, works out at just under 24" from the charcoal grate and with the lid on i'll have just 5 5/8" clearance.

I wonder if I should drop the grate by 1"?

I do intend to add a weber lid so that will hopefully make things easier.

Cheers

Dave

I'd have to measure mine, I have to use the dome lid UDS if I am doing 4 to 6 butts, but I sure do like the flat lid UDS better for most cooks where I do not need the extra room. You could shorten the legs for a second rack to say 4 inches which would allow you2 full racks for room if you wanted, you would just have to rotate the food on the racks when required. If that makes sense.

I put single track adjustable shelf standards and brackets in mine.
Starts about 1" from the top and goes down 16" in 1" increments.
I only have a flat lid now but looking for a dome lid.

Back