THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
I finally got to play with my UDS and smoke some Sockeye Salmon today.:p I did a four hour simple brine and smoked it on the UDS III @ 200-220 with Comp K and Alderwood. The large fillet is Copper River...:p I smoked it a little dry (on purpose) to an internal of 160 so it would flake well for salads! All I need now is Swamprb's recipe for smoked salmon fettuccine.

IMG_7138.jpg

IMG_7139.jpg

IMG_7143.jpg

IMG_7144.jpg

IMG_7145.jpg

Thanks for checkin' out my salmon...:biggrin:

JD that looks awesome? If you don't mind me asking what was the simple brine?

I don't mind at all bro...:p

1 quart hot water...
1 quart cold water...
1/2 cup kosher salt...
1/2 cup granulated sugar...

Dissolve the sugar and salt in the hot water...then add the cold...then add the salmon. Easy peasy...:p

Also JD, how long did you smoke it, I was brought 2 WHOLE Copper river salmon just yesterday... I would reall like to know all the details if you would care to share. This is one smoke I would really hate to mess up.

Thanks

Nice JD, I got a Copper River at Costco ($6 and change per # for whole fish) I'm throwing on today.

Also JD, how long did you smoke it, I was brought 2 WHOLE Copper river salmon just yesterday... I would reall like to know all the details if you would care to share. This is one smoke I would really hate to mess up.

Thanks

I brined about 4 lbs for 4-5 hours...rinsed in cold water...pat dry with paper towels...air dry on a wire rack for 1-2 hours until the pellicle forms...smoke @ 200 for 1 1/2 -2 hours depending on how dry you want your fish. It's fully cooked at an internal temp of 145 but I pulled mine @ 160. We wanted it a bit drier so as to use in salads and sauces. Good Luck with your smoke! :p

Nice JD, I got a Copper River at Costco ($6 and change per # for whole fish) I'm throwing on today.

Whoa...6 bucks for CR...I paid 8.99 at the Woodinville Costco...where did you go?

nice salmon! where'd you get the alder? :biggrin:

Alder and Blackberry are the two prodominant weeds of the pacific NW. They are everywhere and almost impossible to get rid of.

Ya got that right...:p

i know. i've been there. JD sent me a box of alder :biggrin:

Plenty more where that came from...:p Oh chit...I've got to get Dr. KY's box out to him...sorry doc...I'm on it! :icon_blush:

Plenty more where that came from...:p Oh chit...I've got to get Dr. KY's box out to him...sorry doc...I'm on it! :icon_blush:

and here i thought you sent me some because you loved me! i'm crushed :roll:

Just thought I'd throw this out for you. This is my friends favorite way of devouring my smoked salmon.

Smoked Salmon Dip:

4 ounces smoked salmon
1/4 med. onion chopped
1/2tsp. lemon juice
1/4tsp. pepper
1 pkg. cream cheese at room temp.
small shot of milk to loosen just a bit

Mix up, refrigerate overnight if possible, but not mandatory
Serve on crackers

Back