THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

zakaluka

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I found a guide online for building a drum smoker out of scraps, most of which I can find around here no problem. Not quite sure where to find a shipping drum but I imagine that can't be too complicated.

Did most of you with drum smokers build them, or buy em?

Ball valve air intake seems sketchy. Are they made this way because a typical vent would get too hot to operate?

Just thinking about maybe doing one, since it looks like the cheapest way to get a proper smoker. WSM cost 300 bucks and just don't seem that large for doing big cooks ><.

600 pages and 9000 posts is a lot to wade through. The short answer to your question is that the ball valve gives you a variable opening to control temps with. Mine usually runs 3/4 open with all of the others closed on a 55 gal drum (1 inch valve). On the salvage drum, I usually have a 1 1/4 inch full open.

I have built several. Two still live here and the rest belong to friends/family, and some guy who paid me $200 each to build him some.

Kiss is the method I use...Use a ball valve, it just works. Although in my next build I will try to build a vent similar to BGE.

brickie

Back