THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MushCreek

Full Fledged Farker
I have yet another idea for my 'Swiss Army knife UDS'. I've always wanted to do true cold smoke- like for fish, cheese, etc. I don't think the UDS will cruise low enough with fire inside, so I have an idea for cold smoke. I could cut the drum so the end with the 2" pipe thread was in the bottom. Connect it up with an elbow and a length of pipe, then hook it up to a small fan-forced smoke box. My only concern is that the pipe inlet is off-set to the edge of the drum. I could fit one to the middle instead, thereby having central smoke distribution. Has anyone rigged their UDS for cold smoke? Do you think it matters whether the inlet is off-center or not? Am I totally obsessed with the whole smoked food thing???:eek:

I do cheese in mine all the time...3 briqs of charcoal and a chunk of smokewood...cruises for 2 hours @ 80 degrees or less. I never do cold smokes for fish so I can't help you out there...:cool:

I like that Smokedaddy! Maybe I'll try a small fire first to see if i can control it. I'll have to put it in the shade, though. Here in FL, my rig cruises about 125 when I'm not even using it!

I like that Smokedaddy! Maybe I'll try a small fire first to see if i can control it. I'll have to put it in the shade, though. Here in FL, my rig cruises about 125 when I'm not even using it!

I know what you mean. In the summertime here when temps are 100+, I've seen mine about 150+...wide open.

Back