THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

StanDaMan79

Full Fledged Farker
Twice a year, our fishing club has a GREAT get together. After 2 years of over cooked tri tips, I offered to cook "Chicken in a Barrel" for the group. This event is what led me to build a UDS barrel, from the info I gleaned from this site. So, I thought I would share the event.

I ordered a case of chicken splits, 32 split minimum. Mine had 36 halves, We served 1/4's so we had 72 servings. I prepped the chicken as I always have, the night before, I rinsed the halves well, dipped them in lemon juice, then applied my rub liberally to both sides. Into the fridge they went, to marinate (?) overnight.

I lit both my old school barrel, and my new" rod modified" UDS with the Minon Method, but I used a full chimney split between both barrels. I wanted to cook at 400-450, as I have always done, (with the old barrel). I let them both get up to temp, and them hung all 40 halves, between the 2 barrels. I used my new remote thermo probe, and joined my 2 assistants in a toast or 3. :shock:

When the chicken temped out, I transferred the birds to a clean ice chest, with a food grade plastic bag inside of it. I like to let the chickec rest and steam, for at least 45 minutes before serving.

The chicken was a big hit, I was very happy with the performance of the new UDS. I put 4 air intakes in mine, but have not needed them . # would of been fine. I ran 2 intakes wide open, and the barrel ran 400, rock steady. Once the chicken was done, I did some Moink Balls for an appetizers. Those were eaten by the group that had gathered for a little pre dinner, chicken tasting, and then vanished before they ever got to the potluck.
Thanks for the detailed UDS directions, and for the Moink Ball recipe, both were a huge success!

Me, on the left, with my crack team. The guy on the far right, was hiding the bottle of Patron....

100_44562_zps65bed849.jpg

The barrels at work

Ready to go

Last edited:
Great one mate, what's a bottle of Patron?

It's a brand of Tequila, I had never before sampled. It was responsible for my dis-remembering a good part of what happened after dinner was served. It went down oh so easy....

Back