THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M

MtnGriller

Hey all,
As I read through the UDS thread I noticed people were asking if there was a step by step thread on building a UDS. I am going to document my build as I go and update with pics. Now I'm taking what design features I like from all the other builds I have seen. So over the next few weeks, family,work and weather permitting I will post the build.
The first step is gathering your items to build the UDS. I located a local source of food grade barrels for 5$ each. The barrels previously contained syrup/molasses.

Now this barrel still had the top attached. I used a air chisel with a bit that is sorta like a super duty can opener.

If you dont have access to a tool like this a body saw or a angle grinder or cutting torch, plasma torch even a good sharp chisel and hammer can take the top (head) off of a 55 gal drum. I did not like the job this tool did cutting the head off of this drum. I encountered difficulty keeping the tool strait as I cut near the large bung. I think it was thicker metal there and caused the tool to veer off the path.

I will use a grinder and probably my oxy-acetylene torch to give a clean smooth ring around the top of my barrel. This step will follow after I burn my barrel.
I also gathered other parts for my build. I got 3 of 3/4" pipe 6" long. One 3/4" ball valve. Three 3/4" pipe caps. 3 hinges(I will use these as my shelf points for my food grates. 2 cans of BBQ paint. A smoker thermometer. 2 round BBQ grates. 2 handles and a round weber type lid. The pipe parts, valve, paint and handles I got at Home Depot for around 30$. The grates and Smoker Thermometer I found at Walmart for 25$ The steped drills I had. The weber type lid I found in a neighbors junk pile for free.

The hinges Im going to use as shelves for my grates dont have any holes in them. They can be drilled for custom locations or in my case I will weld them where I want to place them. Here is a pic of the hinge folded back on itself forming a L shape. When these are welded into my barrel they will hold the grate. Whats handy about this is when I pull the lower grate or fire box it will fold up and out. This means I won't have to tip my lower grate and I won't hook the L as I pull food/grates/fire box out.

Prior to burning I drill two 7/8" holes with a step drill in my drum. This will let my burnout fire get air to burn the painted lining inside the barrel.

Well this is all for now. next posting will be on burning and cleaning the inside of my UDS.:grin:

MtnGriller

Back