Uds build

kdm75

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
kevin
Hello all new member here. Been looking at uds builds and different builds. About all has weber lids are lids that come off. I got a free 55 gallon closed head drum hammer and chisel the lid off. Got to much time preparing drum to smoke to thro it away. I cant find a weber lid and thinking of getting 14 gage steel sheet to make a lid. Question is is that thick enuff ?

Then for exuast hole I was planning on a 2 inch hole in center .

Does any one see any flaws in that plan thanks

Big Poppa Smokers sells a kit to make a UDS Has everything you need except the lid and the drum You can prob find a Weber lid on Craigs list

One solution has some pro's and con's associated with it. Do a google search for "wildlife feeder lids" or "deer feeder lids" and you will find plenty ones like the one pictured below, they are usually less than $30. One problem is they are galvanized which is not recommended around food, but the zinc apparently does not emit dangerous gasses until it is well over 700°. Chemicals can remove the galvanized finish and there is some discussion about this in this THREAD. Use your own judgement. If you happen to find one that is not galvanized, please let me know.

41PQZDZRCFL._AC_.jpg

thanks for the replies . looked on craigslist didn't find any thing in my area . been looking at local walmarts they all had weber more than I wanted to pay. I like the wild life lids but all I seen are galvanized don't think I wont to mess with stripping that off. I think I will get the 14 gage steel 2 foot x 4 foot for 25 buck and have some steel to do a cople other thing with on it

Last edited:
Wash the part with 50/50 mix vinegar/water. You will feel the difference while and after washing. The coating turns kind of sticky and comes off easily. Rinse/dry. Repeat if required. Then your good to go.

Thanks for the Info. I did go ahead and buy the lid that third eye posted. For the price and appears to be a sturdy lid. Will just have to strip the galvaniztion off of it. The fume hood at work will work nicely while doing that

Back