UDS assistance

Teebs

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Tim
I have a 55 gallon UDS with a Weber grill lid. The inlets are 2 1"holes with refrigerator magnets to adjust flow. I have a 5 gallon bucket for the charcoal basket. Today I smoked 2 #4 butts. The problem is that the FOGO lump with cherry blocks only lasted 5 1/2 hours. Any suggestions? I had heard that this setup would go 12 hours.

I have a 55 gallon UDS with a Weber grill lid. The inlets are 2 1"holes with refrigerator magnets to adjust flow. I have a 5 gallon bucket for the charcoal basket. Today I smoked 2 #4 butts. The problem is that the FOGO lump with cherry blocks only lasted 5 1/2 hours. Any suggestions? I had heard that this setup would go 12 hours.
It hit 225 nicely and never went over 240

Is all of the lump burned up or did it just go out? There might not have been enough air getting to the coals beneath the top layer if they are in a bucket.

Not sure exactly how much lump you had in the bucket, but due to the irregular size pieces, it may have just not been enough. I did a comp cook back in March and didn't expect to have to reload my UDS, but it was a very cool night and it burned just to maintain my temps. Lots of variables involved, so you may have to experiment a bit.

Did you use a diffuser of any kind? I find I burn quite a bit more fuel with a diffuser over the basket, especially if it's cold out. Seems to lose more heat through the barrel sides that way.

describe your fire bucket.

I can get 5 hours on my mini wsm (tamale pot + weber smokey joe) - basically 3 -4 big hand fulls of Kingsford.

something's not adding up.

describe your fire bucket.

I can get 5 hours on my mini wsm (tamale pot + weber smokey joe) - basically 3 -4 big hand fulls of Kingsford.

something's not adding up.
5 gallon bucket with a weber grate 5" up from bottom. 6 1.5 inch holes 2" up from bottom of bucket. The charcial was gone. It was a windy 41 degrees here today. The lumps are all sizes and shapes.

Not sure exactly how much lump you had in the bucket, but due to the irregular size pieces, it may have just not been enough. I did a comp cook back in March and didn't expect to have to reload my UDS, but it was a very cool night and it burned just to maintain my temps. Lots of variables involved, so you may have to experiment a bit.

Cold now in west Michigan. 41 degrees and windy. I wasn't sure if the weber lid was less efficient than a drum lid.

I'll start by saying I know nothing of lump charcoal.
There was obviously airflow if it all burned up. How much did you start with? If the Weber lid doesn't seal well then it may have been less efficient. And being a higher dome, all the heat may have went up and out pretty fast. I've only got a flattop on mine. I picked a Weber lid out of somebody's trash the other day. It requires a little welding on the drum that I haven't done yet. I'm not sure I want too.

Pictures would help us better visualize your set up.
How were you measuring/monitoring the temp?
Like mentioned above. Something seems off.
A 5 gal bucket should hold around the same amount or more of lump or briquettes as my 17" coal grate with 9" high expanded metal sides, 4" high/tall legs. At 225* my basket would easily go 23+ hrs. I've made my basket smaller than how large it used to be years ago. I've never ran it out of coals on any cook yet over the years. Reason for making smaller/lighter.
I also have a 22" coal grate with a 3" tall expanded metal ring. The 18"round ring that will run 8-10 hrs at 275*
I use a weber knock off lid. I cook year round. Right thru the winters here in Mi. I've built a few UDS's.

What is the gap/height of your bucket off the bottom of your drum?
Did you have both intakes full open?
Was the exh full open?
Weird problem your having. If your lid was leaking alot. You would not have been able to control your temps below 300* in my experience.
BUT!!
Could be you just got a bad bag of lump. I've had some lump just burn up much much faster than expected.
I'd try a bag of briquettes or different brand just to be sure. To see if it burns up just as fast, or close to that same time. That will eliminate if the problem was that one bag of lump.

Last edited:
Pictures would help us better visualize your set up.
How were you measuring/monitoring the temp?
Like mentioned above. Something seems off.
A 5 gal bucket should hold around the same amount or more of lump or briquettes as my 17" coal grate with 9" high expanded metal sides, 4" high/tall legs. At 225* my basket would easily go 23+ hrs. I've made my basket smaller than how large it used to be years ago. I've never ran it out of coals on any cook yet over the years. Reason for making smaller/lighter.
I also have a 22" coal grate with a 3" tall expanded metal ring. The 18"round ring that will run 8-10 hrs at 275*
I use a weber knock off lid. I cook year round. Right thru the winters here in Mi. I've built a few UDS's.

What is the gap/height of your bucket off the bottom of your drum?
Did you have both intakes full open?
Was the exh full open?
Weird problem your having. If your lid was leaking alot. You would not have been able to control your temps below 300* in my experience.
BUT!!
Could be you just got a bad bag of lump. I've had some lump just burn up much much faster than expected.
I'd try a bag of briquettes or different brand just to be sure. To see if it burns up just as fast, or close to that same time. That will eliminate if the problem was that one bag of lump.

My legs are 1 1/2 inches and I really don't think it's a volume problem. This bucket should last much longer. The Weber lid is basically hammered on so it's tight. The exhaust is wide open and just one of the two inlets was open 3/4 of the way. My drum is setting up off of the ground, not sure if that make a difference. I'm buying some B&B lump today to try out.

UDS https://imgur.com/gallery/kklNwWP

Last edited:
Back