Two Quick Beginner Questions

L

loggy

Hey guys! I am just starting out on my UDS adventure... I've been searching around but I haven't found the exact answer to my questions. I am also slowly getting through the massive UDS thread but I wanted to see if you could help me out.

1. I managed to buy a reconditioned 55 gallon steel drum. It's unlined and the drum is a DOT 17h. Not sure if that makes sense but I wanted to make sure it would be safe to use for cooking. I am planning to sand, burn, and season the barrel, but I wanted to make sure that these were raw steel. This type of barrel isn't galvanized or anything dangerous like that, is it? Also, can the outside paint be an issue? I was told that it would be painted black but I don't know if it's a hi-temp paint. Should I just strip the outside and reapply a new paint? Can the outside heat up and make you sick?

2. I don't have the ability to weld and the machine shops around me have been quoting 100+ for a firebasket. I think I am just going to buy one. I know many of you bolted yours together, but I wanted to get something that would stay together and I am not super confident in my ability. Here are the ones I've found so far. Can you let me know if there are better ones out there and/or which of these would work best for a UDS:

http://www.smokerplans.net/index.ph...id=121&zenid=0be09d5d81163b4acb6a7cb66f63a82d

http://charcoalbasket.com/page/home.html

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/bbq-accessories/nest-assembly-for-drum-smokers

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_190814_-1?Ntt=basket&Ntk=All

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Restaurant-Supply/Update-International/Aluminum-Steamer167455

Thanks for your help!

Wash it out with Simple Green build it and season it. No need to burn it out the original exterior paint is fine. My basket is wired to the grate with Hog rings and bolted together in a circle after 5 yrs of use It has never given me a problem.

I can sort of weld, BUT I just used safety wire pliers and some lectric fence wire to do mine.

Harbor freight has the safety wire pliers.......

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-safety-wire-twisting-pliers-45341.html

I bought two of the very small round cheap charcoal grills at walmart and used the grates for the bottom.

But if your gonna BUY one, the first two look decent, the aluminum fryer baskets IMHO will not work out well (but if 9 other people used them they will chime in and prove me wrong hehe).

BlueDawg was typing while I was typing, but his HOG Ring suggestion is an excellent one.

Basket

I just seen one on E-Bay that a person makes and sells. Looks pretty nice you may want to look at. It was for a pretty good price as well.

Todd

However you go, stick with a round basket and stay away from aluminum. My basket is super heavy duty as that was what I had on hand. It is hog ringed to a Weber coal grate and the ends are ringed together. The grate is bolted to the ash pan with thru bolts to give me my standoff from the drum bottom. If you have a weed burner torch you can heat the expanded steel and wrap around a propane cylinder (of course wear some good leather gloves).

So, the question is .... do you have the time to invest in this or don't you? If you've got time then I would invest in a Harbor Freight weed burner. I think they are 20 or 30 buck.. Hook that to a 5 gallon tank of propane and you can take care of all drum problems by burning the drum from the outside and cleansing the inside at the same time.
The aluminum baskets are out of the question. Big Poppa's is the best choice but expensive because of the shipping.

Here is my parts list for a high quality UDS with stainless everything. Check out the fire basket.

Drum Smoker Parts list

Fire Basket Cost

¾ #9 expanded metal 8”W X 60”L $17
Charcoal grate from Weber 22-1/2” grill $10

Feet
3 3/8 X 4” Stainless bolts $10
6 3/8 stainless nuts and washers $3

Bail
3/16D steel rod 24”L $2

Ash Catcher
1 16” aluminum pizza pan $9
18” ¼” steel rod $5

Drum
1 55gal drum open at one end $25
3 ¾” short black Pipe nipples $3
2 ¾” Black caps $3
1 ¾” Ball Valve $11
2 22-1/2” Weber cooking grates $40
6 ¼” X 2 Stainless bolts $8
12 ¼” Stainless nuts and washers $4
2 6-1/2” metal handles $12
4 ¼ X ½ stainless bolts, washers and nuts $4
3 cans of high temp(500 deg) spray paint $18
1 22-1/2” Weber kettle lid $30
6 feet 3/16D steel rod $6
1 drum thermometer $17

Misc Supplies
1 tank of propane $15
½ roll .035 Innershield flux core wire $7

Total $ 259

For your fire basket, I'm with Marty. If you want to do it yourself and have the time to do it, then bolting together is a good solid solution. However, if its something you just don't want to do yourself, then by all means, go buy a pre-made one. I don't have any tips there. For my fire basket, I bought my expanded metal from Home Depot, used a reciprocating (sawzall) saw to cut it. Bolted it together lengthwise, rolled it around a propane tank to get it close to shape, and used some stainless steel wire to tie it to a charcoal grate from a 22.5 weber. I used some longer bolts through a pizza pan ash catcher and through the grate.

I am not a handy guy at all, but i was able to do it pretty easily from all the brethren tips here. I'm very proud of my fire basket. If you have the time, I have confidence you can make a great, long lasting one yourself.

As for the outside barrel paint, I personally decided I didn't want to trust the original paint, so I burned the heck out of it with an inferno inside. While it was burning inside, I also took my weed burner and got the outside. Between the two, it was very clean and a great starting point for my hi-temp paint.

Wash it out with Simple Green build it and season it. No need to burn it out the original exterior paint is fine. My basket is wired to the grate with Hog rings and bolted together in a circle after 5 yrs of use It has never given me a problem.

Do you mean the simple green bbq cleaner?

I just seen one on E-Bay that a person makes and sells. Looks pretty nice you may want to look at. It was for a pretty good price as well.

Todd

Do you have a link? I searched but I couldn't find it

As for the outside barrel paint, I personally decided I didn't want to trust the original paint, so I burned the heck out of it with an inferno inside. While it was burning inside, I also took my weed burner and got the outside. Between the two, it was very clean and a great starting point for my hi-temp paint.

Do you mean that when you did the burn on the inside, you also scorched the outside and repainted the barrel? I was think of doing that. I didn't realize that I cloud get a propane torch for so cheap. I may also try to build my own firebasket....

^^^

I have a *tendency* to build hot fires, so my inside burnout was hot enough to clear the paint off the outside.

I took a piece of 24" x 24" expanded metal from Home Depot, but it in half with an angle grinder and used 12 ga copper wire and some pliers to make mine. Is it as neat as the ones shown in the forum? No. Does anyone care? No. Does it hold charcoal? Yup. End of story.

You KNOW anyone with a welder? I don't have one and can BARELY weld, but not really well at all.

BUT....I have a friend who has one. I've built 2 UDS's and have had firebaskets pre cut and bent and even legs made and cut. I take em to my buddy's and he welds it up. I give him BBQ for his trouble.

Or....bolt it up. :becky:

charcoal smoker basket

Im sorry I am the world worst person on the computer lol. I went to E-BAY and typed in charcoal smoker basket and it popped up. It sells for 35:00 and measures 12x12.

Hope this helps. Guess I need a computer class on how to add a link to make it easier to find. Hint hint lol.

Todd

Im sorry I am the world worst person on the computer lol. I went to E-BAY and typed in charcoal smoker basket and it popped up. It sells for 35:00 and measures 12x12.

Hope this helps. Guess I need a computer class on how to add a link to make it easier to find. Hint hint lol.

Todd

If you dig around you can find the auction number, I did "charcoal smoker box" and got auction number 180551197424, fairly nice one but the shipping cost sure adds to it, he is in gary, IN and it would cost $24 to ship it to me and I'm close...$32 to LA, CA hehe.

Some BBB will only allow auction numbers, no direct links allowed.

If you dig around you can find the auction number, I did "charcoal smoker box" and got auction number 180551197424, fairly nice one but the shipping cost sure adds to it, he is in gary, IN and it would cost $24 to ship it to me and I'm close...$32 to LA, CA hehe.

Some BBB will only allow auction numbers, no direct links allowed.

Thanks for the information. Yeah I thought the shipping was adding it up there pretty good, but it looked like a pretty decent one. I was lucky and had mine made at work. But Im always looking now as Im hooked on these smokers lol.

Do you mean that when you did the burn on the inside, you also scorched the outside and repainted the barrel? I was think of doing that. I didn't realize that I cloud get a propane torch for so cheap. I may also try to build my own firebasket....

Yup, it was kind of a belt and suspenders approach. I did my burnout in the dark, so I really couldn't see all that great how it was going. I'm sure the fire alone was probably hot enough to do, but what guy doesn't like a reason to play with a "flame thrower" as my boys call it! :clap2:

Bolt it together...period. The build is part of the experience......bolt it together and save yourself 50 bucks for meat.

What he said.... I built my whole thing for less than $100. I dont weld and can barely hold a wrench. I bolted expanded metal together and used D-rings to hold the charcoal grate on. I bought some header paint, but decided against it. It is truely an UGLY Drum Smoker, but it makes the best que I have ever had. My next build will be sand blasted, powder coated and stainless steel billeted parts...but for now, I couldn't be happier.

No welding here either. Probably not a popular choice, but I just got a brinkman water pan and drilled holes in with a step bit. Just set that on the charcoal grate. Works fine for me.

10044992.jpg

335327_lg.jpg

Back