Two Friends Have Departed The Scene

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Two things that stand out for me in my 10 Year advanced beginner cooking career and things I've learned. Ozark Oak original and now Oakridge BBQ Rubs. When Ozark Oak departed I bought quite a bit and stored it and it lasted about 2 years only using on special occasions afraid of when I eventually used the last bag. A slow agonizing goodbye. But I survived. I have a reasonable good stash of Oakridge, but what I've learned is I'm not going to hoard, save or special occasion it forever. I'm going to use my stash every chance I get. I'm smoking a soup, stew, chili, chopped, cubed brisket today. Doesn't have to be pretty at any point in the cook, but taste needs to be there. Oakridge SPOGOS.
I'll miss Oakridge tremendously, but can't take another long goodbye. I'm using that stuff, in everything. Well, almost

Last edited:
Hot & Fast. Under 5 hours on this barely trimmed 12#+ full packer. 300-350° in Primo OXL. Inserted remote and read 190° in thickest part of flat. Obvious not tender enough, but when it hits 203°IT or just north of there it's going into cooler for a 3-5 hour nap. Not in any hurry, just cooking for a crunchy bark and tender juicy inside. Makes great soups, stews and chili. The Bride will take a few pieces of point wrap in a flour tortilla and use natural juices for dipping.

Last edited:
The song remains the same. Whenever I smoke a brisket The Bride sneaks into the kitchen. Like a thief in the night she selects a nice slice of the smoked brisket flat, dips the already warm tortilla into natural juices, makes a wrap and exits like fog.
Gone.
Every single time.
I smile

Last edited:
Go for it Adams. It's never easy when Good Things End. I never tried Oakridge. Wish I had

In my opinion, Carne Crosta will be missed. The others, not so much. With all the controversy, going around lately, you dodged a bullet. :mrgreen:

Same. Bought it ta use it, not stare at in the pantry. When I'm out, well I'm out. Till then I'll use the time ta make my own rubs...a process that's always been hit or miss fer me.

-D

Seems people are way to dependent on rubs. If you can't make your own brisket without spending $40 for a 1.5lb Rub, maybe you you need to re evaluate your brisket.

I hopped on the Oakridge roller coaster on the way down the last hill. Bought a sample pack at that time. Have used probably about half of it now. Some of them I'm afraid are too spicy for my wife and kids :razz:

Nice work Adams and true sentiment which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Cheers!

Bill

My favorite was the jah love Jamaican jerk rub. Best chicken I’ve ever made! I’ll be sad when I run out but I’m sure I’ll find a replacement.

Back