THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kenn007BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
emy9umuq.jpg
It's a sunny day in Oakland California and I could not pass up the opportunity to cook up something.

I bought the chicken on sale at for 99cents # and ended up with two birds.. Instead of cooking one bird at a time, I decided to try something radical...... Two whole chickens in the UDS at once :crazy:

I fired up the UDS and once it was at 220, in went both birds. I Seasoned the birds with a seasoning blend and took the inside parts out. Inside the birds I poured a teriyaki marinade inside and made a nice puddle

Used only Kingsford brickettes with 3-4 fist full chunks of cherry and hickory I bought from Home Depot

An hour into the cook temps kept climbing and when it reached 325, I capped it down and it cruised there for the duration, give or take 25 degrees

Birds were done in 3 hours 30 minutes. When breast reached 160, thighs and leg were 170+....... Results, smoky and extremely juicy. But not as flavorful as I want it. Next time e I will try brining or injecting for more flavor..... Also the skin was rubbery.... Probably cause I kept basting that bird.....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Looks good. Curious if the teriyaki worked well ?? Is it just noticeable on one side of the bird ? I have a bottle in the fridge that I need to use.

Cheers.

The rubbery skin woudl be caused by not being at a hire temperature for enough time to render the fat out of the skin. Try cooking the entire time at 325-350 and the skin will be nice and crisp.

Brining adds quite a bit of flavor to the whole chickens. I tried brining for the first time a few weeks ago and I will never do a bird again without brining it.

Back