TVgating - Atlanta Style

tdwalker

Full Fledged Farker
Continuing on with the tradition started last week, we will be developing a TVgating menu for the Philadelphia Eagles v. Atlanta Falcolns game based on local Georgia / Atlanta style cousine.

I'm starting a little earlier this week in case of hard to find (for me locally) menu items. Last week I run into trouble with the pork steaks. :doh:

How about it? Can you Falcoln fans tell me what shows up outside the stadium at the home games? I'm thinking that I might want to include you Georgia Bulldog fans in this one also.

Thanks in advance for all the great ideas. The only one I got now is to maybe honor the poultry nature of the falcoln and go with chicken, or maybe a Turducken.

Best Regards,

Without meaning any disrespect to anyone else here, I probably qualify as the #1 true die-hard Falcons fan on the board. Saw many games in 66 with my father, I had season tickets for 15 years; row 1. Other than a few that weren't televised, I've probably not seen 4 Falcons games since 66, although I cant think of any right now... Maybe it's less.

I'm thinking some type of road-kill stew, because after last weeks game, I'm thinking that's about how flat Atlanta played and likely to be after this... :-(

Offense play calling is still vanilla and bland; just count how many defenders stay in the box; no reason to venture out. And our defensive secondary can't play zone any better than if I randomly chose 4 or 5 fat boys from here to go out there and stand around and eat a sammich... So, I'll be watching, every play, at home on my HDTV in my underwear drinking something strong. :)

ABT's and Moinks come to mind though; cook fast; eat fast.

PBR ain't Atlanta; that's way too blue collar for yuppie-town (mind you, I grew up and lived there my whole life except college & last few years when I moved away to the lake).

While not an Atlanta brewery, probably Sam Adams Lager would "fit" Atlanta. Yuppie gone plain. When I'm not making my own brew, I drink Michelob, Mich Light, yuppie New Castle, and Mich Amber Boch (miss old Mich Classic Dark).

PBR ain't Atlanta; that's way too blue collar for yuppie-town (mind you, I grew up and lived there my whole life except college & last few years when I moved away to the lake).

While not an Atlanta brewery, probably Sam Adams Lager would "fit" Atlanta. Yuppie gone plain.

Theys a whole bunch a Falcons Fans in Macon I'm bettin':becky:

Technically I guess you could say Talahassee FL is more Georgia than Atlanta...

Gotta have salmon patties, they used to be my favorite when visiting my Grandmother's house in Rome :hungry: Also, how about fried green tomatoes?

^^^ Definitely southern; both. If doing fried, make some spicy fried chicken, some salmon patties (haven't had those since I was a kid), and some fried green 'maters, maybe some fried shrooms while you're at it.

Lake Dogs ~ no offense taken but I believe it may be a tie as to which one of us is the die-hard Atlanta sports fan; Go Braves Go and take the Falcons with you! Remember that one? :becky:

Anyhoo ~ in my vast experience (read old as dirt), I've seen all manner of tailgating goodies but I would say red hots, brunswick stew, chilli, burgers, chicken wings, pigs in a blanket, hot dogs, okra stewed with tomatoes, black eyed peas, greens, cornbread, corn on the cobb, nachos, jalapeno poppers, etc., etc.

I'll shut up now. :icon_shy

Agreed, TIE. YES, I do remember!!!:-D

Hey, is that old skating rink still there in Doraville?

Still miss the old El Toro off of Buford Hwy right there. And then when sports bar there turned into
a strip club, they had the BEST prime rib buffet on Friday lunch time; it was sinful!!!

. . . sorry, a little memory lane there . . .

I apologize in advance to all my ATL Brethren but I just felt compelled. Good luck on your cook tdwalker.

Fly Eagles Fly
On the road to VICK-tor-y
Fight Eagles Fight
Score a touchdown
Hit'em low
Hit'em high
And watch our eagles fly
Fly Eagles Fly
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed, TIE. YES, I do remember!!!:-D

Hey, is that old skating rink still there in Doraville?
Still miss the old El Toro off of Buford Hwy right there. And then when sports bar there turned into
a strip club, they had the BEST prime rib buffet on Friday lunch time; it was sinful!!!

. . . sorry, a little memory lane there . . .

Not to highjack guys ~ just ignore us for a minute please.

Playland
or the one at Pinetree Plaza? Do we know each other?

I apologize in advance to all my ATL Brethren but I just felt compelled. Good luck on your cook tdwalker.

Fly Eagles Fly
Fight Eagles Fight
Score a touchdown
Hit'em low
Hit'em high
And watch our eagles fly
Fly Eagles Fly

:blah: :blah: :blah:
:puke:

And that's all I have to say about that! :becky:

Not to highjack guys ~ just ignore us for a minute please.

Playland
or the one at Pinetree Plaza? Do we know each other?

Playland; that's it! It was OLD way back in the 70's when I'd go; I might've even been there in the latter 60's...

Is it still there? WOW.

I'm trying to think of the name of the sports bar, perhaps it was Copelands, or something like that. It was kinda like a crappy Bennigans. Went out of business probably in the latter 80's or early 90's. It was mid to latter 90's a few friends at work and I would go there for Friday lunch, probably 20 to 25 times a year. The bouncers and regular ladies knew us by first name... We'd take $10-$12 each in, pay for the buffet with sweet tea (which was also good), and have $5 or $6 for "the girls". It wasn't terrible. One of those things that made 'ya glad to be a guy!

Is that OLD OLD OLD El Toro still there? I think it was one of the original mexican food places around. Most of the good mexican places around town now are of Guadalahara <spelling> influence, and it started with El Toro, and that one on Buford Hwy right there was the first.

I dont know if we know one another. I was a little kid over in Tucker, off of Chamblee Tucker Rd. Then right before HS we moved (as was most of Atlanta at that time) WAY out to Lilburn; went to Parkview HS... That was long before 285 was completed and way before Pasqual Perez missed his pitching debut driving around it.

Sorry for hijack. It's nice, and rare actually, to find Atlanta natives. Most of us have moved away as Atlanta is now mostly johnny-come-lately transfers.

Ah, the boyz from Doraville, and good old 94-Q River Races....

Fly Eagles Fly
Fight Eagles Fight
Score a touchdown
Hit'em low
Hit'em high
And watch our eagles fly
Fly Eagles Fly

Apology accepted. The ONLY thing, other than home field advantage, that we have working for us this weekend is that I HOPE the Falcons are pi***d off at our opener against what I think is an average Bears team. I think we're better'n them, but last weekend we sure WEREN'T. Congrats to Bears fans, and watch out! :)

Back