Tutorial—What are “Hatch” & “Pueblo” Green Chile

Peppers from Hatch or Pueblo, NM. Usually fairly large 4-7 inches or so. Mild, medium hot and hot. They are are great in pork stew, chili, whatever. I just ordered 5 lbs Friday.

I get mine here:

https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/

When they arrive, roast them on a gasser, bag and freeze.

When I lived in The Woodlands area north of Houston, HEB would have a big roaster outside this time of year for the peppers.

I should be in Pueblo in a couple weeks. Depending on what I find there I may order the Hatch “Charger” green chile from their website. I can get a Hatch varieties locally pretty much all month

Last edited:
When you roast/freeze at home, do you peel the skin off before freezing them or nah? I have a bag of Hatch’s I plan to roast today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I freeze them with the skin on, no particular reason, and peel to use. I'm sure you could peel first if you want.

When you roast/freeze at home, do you peel the skin off before freezing them or nah? I have a bag of Hatch’s I plan to roast today.

Either way. I think they retain some of the roasted flavors when you freeze with skin on.

We generally put the prep time in before freezing - peel, devein and deseed.
It's ready to use after thawing.
It will gain heat after freezing, especially if the frozen with the vein.

Back