Turn a pellet in to a pizza oven ?

QuincyQ

Name or Nickame
QDubs
We do pizza's on our Memphis Elite one day each week. Initially w/ a stone but then switched to a steel that helped a bit. One problem I've thought about is that every time we open it to check on the pizza all of the heat (air and radiant accumulated in the lid) escapes. We've tried having one person open the lid only enough to access the pizza while another does the rotating or removing but that's a PITA.

So, I've been toying with making a stainless insert of some sort. Maybe 6-8" high that would sit between the grill and lid so it'd hold the lid in position and would have a front access that can be opened to rotate or remove the pizza but still keep all of the heat in.

However, we just got Modernist Pizza and it talks about ambient heat not being a thing but that all of the cooking is really done with radiant (like from shiny stainless steel or heated stone). Not sure if that changes things or not but I think not.

Has anyone ever played with doing anything like this?

Not a pizza slinger- don't own a pellet grill.

But I've made a fair number in a gasser. Opening the lid all the way will dump all your heat - just like you said. I got around it by opening the lid with one hand, placing a block of wood 4-5 inches tall with the other hand under the lid lid propping it up... then deftly (depending on how many adult beverages I'd had) grab the peel and rotate the pizza. it worked for me.

There are a LOT of pizza box type accessories you can buy to sit on your grate that might get you some better results... I tend to go "cheap"

Back