Turkey Experiment with MEGA Pron!

kcmike

is Blowin Smoke!
I'm testing out a new Thanksgiving turkey technique today that I learned here on the Brethren (thanks thirdeye! see post). Instead of butterflying (...err Spatchcock), I did what's called a "Back Half" and "Front Half" cut. Basically, you separate the turkey across the middle, through the backbone just above where the thighs connect. This allows you to cook each half separately and to two different final temps - 165° for the breasts and 185° for the thighs. I also cut the wings off at the breast joint for future use in homemade turkey stock.
▪️
I injected the turkey the night before with an injection made from our Game Changer Brine at full strength with no-salt added chicken stock instead of water, brought to 180º on the stove, killed the heat, then steeped fresh sage, rosemary and thyme and the zest of one orange for 20 minutes. Strain and chill the injection until below 40º. Injection ratio was 1/2 fluid oz per pound of turkey. Turkey halves were then rested in the catering fridge uncovered on a rack set inside a sheet pan for 12 hours. This is done to allow the skin to dry out and for the injection to spread out.
▪️
The next morning I rubbed the halves well with Duck Fat Spray and a liberal coating of our Santa Maria Grill Seasoning.
▪️
Pit temp on the @olehickorypits #CTO was set to 335° and for fire was two chimneys of Royal Oak lump and four small splits of pecan. Total cook time was three hours for the back half and 3.5 hours for the front half.
▪️
Finished results were awesome!

Oakridge-BBQ-Thanksgiving-Turkey-2019-3.jpg

Oakridge-BBQ-Thanksgiving-Turkey-2019-4.jpg

Oakridge-BBQ-Thanksgiving-Turkey-2019-5.jpg

Oakridge-BBQ-Thanksgiving-Turkey-2019-1.jpg

Oakridge-BBQ-Thanksgiving-Turkey-2019-9.jpg

Oakridge-BBQ-Thanksgiving-Turkey-2019-7.jpg

Oakridge-BBQ-Thanksgiving-Turkey-2019-10.jpg

Mike,

I never would have thought about splitting a bird like this, but it makes sense.

Cut right across the ribs just above the thighs...correct?

Looks mighty fine, Mike. :thumb:

Mike, have you ever done game changer at full strength on a whole bird? If so did you have good results?

Thanks!

Mike,

I never would have thought about splitting a bird like this, but it makes sense.

Cut right across the ribs just above the thighs...correct?

Looks mighty fine, Mike. :thumb:

Close, but not exactly... First, you have to cut through the skin between the inside of thigh and abdominal wall. Follow the seam until it opens up, just don't cut into any of the thigh meat. You'll see what I'm talking about when you do it. Then, find the last rib and cut through the abdominal wall toward the backbone. The last rib is just north of where the thigh meat hooks into the back of the bird. :thumb: :thumb:

Last edited:
Mike, have you ever done game changer at full strength on a whole bird? If so did you have good results?

Thanks!

Sure! That's how I used to do it all the time, especially on natural non-enhanced birds. However, the major side affect of any immersion brine on poultry is over-moisturized skin. Which makes it hard to achieve crispy skin even at high roasting temps of 325-350. This is why I've been experimenting with injections on turkeys so the skin can dry out in the fridge while the bird rests and the injection balances out. The results so far have been outstanding. :becky: :becky:

Whoa, you nailed that one bigtime, the skin looks great! I always tell folks how easy it is to prep birds this way and the results speak for themselves. What did it take you about 2 minutes (or less) to make those three cuts? :biggrin1:

I don't let my brines get to a simmer either and I do a similar infusion of herbs.... but the orange zest sounds like something I want to try. In fact I have some of your Game Changer Brine so you've inspired me to duplicate your injection and cooking procedure, especially the skin drying time as I do that on wings with great results.

Whoa, you nailed that one bigtime, the skin looks great! I always tell folks how easy it is to prep birds this way and the results speak for themselves. What did it take you about 2 minutes (or less) to make those three cuts? :biggrin1:

I don't let my brines get to a simmer either and I do a similar infusion of herbs.... but the orange zest sounds like something I want to try. In fact I have some of your Game Changer Brine so you've inspired me to duplicate your injection and cooking procedure, especially the skin drying time as I do that on wings with great results.

Well, I gotta' be honest... It took me a couple of minutes studying the situation before I was ready to make the first cut... Things don't line up exactly like you think they should until you take a closer look, then it all starts to make sense. :loco: :loco:

Well, I gotta' be honest... It took me a couple of minutes studying the situation before I was ready to make the first cut... Things don't line up exactly like you think they should until you take a closer look, then it all starts to make sense. :loco: :loco:

Well, after your first one.... you're an expert.

The color on that bird is simply amazing, killer cook Mike!

Thanks! I had to run my CTO a little different to keep it looking like that. Instead of using the gas burner and a log, I switched the "comp switch" on which disables the gas circuit but still runs the forced draft fan when needed. Then, I just built a really clean burning fire with two chimneys of RO lump and about 4 small pecan splits. I didn't put the turkey on until the fire was almost all coals, so the smoke was real light and just perfect for turkeys. :thumb: :thumb:

Looks great.

What is the shelf life for Game Changer Brine? I have an opened package from a couple years ago. Should I toss it and get new or will still be the same?

Looks great.

What is the shelf life for Game Changer Brine? I have an opened package from a couple years ago. Should I toss it and get new or will still be the same?

If the bag is in good condition (no pin holes), was zipped completely and tightly, and stored in a cool place, it will still be very usable. Some degradation will likely have happened, but if sealed well and stored properly, we see only about 20% loss of vitality after a couple years.

Back