THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1.5" choice ribeye end cut only, evoo, squirt of Wooster, lawrys season salt, cracked pepper, rest room temp seasoned for 1 hr, grill grates @600 deg, 550 dome temp, slap it on, rotate 45deg for cross hatches, 4 min per side, 8 min total cook time, top with 1 tsp Ranchmans steak butter. I ruin peoples life when it comes to a restaurant dining experience once they have eaten my steaks. Shakazulu!!!!
B1222685-F267-41B2-8CB6-974F9AC2C417-1765-000002B72502D543.jpg

32F8B540-44AB-4893-BCA6-7DA9BCDCEDAB-664-000000F74D8649CD.jpg

A0D06E31-AC23-41BB-9AC1-D3930405A2FA-664-000000F759B3CC02.jpg

I even cook a bad ass steak with my super modded traeger with a high speed auger motor.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkOr0-tZDRo&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Searee steaks on the traeger - YouTube[/ame]

We season with lawrys,black pepper & garlic powder.
If it nice out the wife cranks the gasser all the way up and cooks to med/rare. When it's nasty out I get the cast iron pan as hot as possible toss the steaks in wait a couple min, flip and put the oven set to 350 . when resting add pads of butter to the steak. Either way they turn out great

In addition to all of the above, meat quality is huge of coarse. The thing that changed my steak world was a Thermapen. If I'm cooking for four, "I ask How do you want your steak?" By golly, I can get it dead on.

1.5" choice ribeye end cut only, evoo, squirt of Wooster, lawrys season salt, cracked pepper, rest room temp seasoned for 1 hr, grill grates @600 deg, 550 dome temp, slap it on, rotate 45deg for cross hatches, 4 min per side, 8 min total cook time, top with 1 tsp Ranchmans steak butter. I ruin peoples life when it comes to a restaurant dining experience once they have eaten my steaks. Shakazulu!!!!
B1222685-F267-41B2-8CB6-974F9AC2C417-1765-000002B72502D543.jpg

32F8B540-44AB-4893-BCA6-7DA9BCDCEDAB-664-000000F74D8649CD.jpg

A0D06E31-AC23-41BB-9AC1-D3930405A2FA-664-000000F759B3CC02.jpg

I even cook a bad ass steak with my super modded traeger with a high speed auger motor.
Searee steaks on the traeger - YouTube

Your steak looks perfect for me - medium rare with good cross hatching. But I guess you mean rotate 90 degrees not 45 degrees (I am a pedant).
John

I also ruin many good steaks too, on purpose,.......for those who want their's well done. They don't want even a hint of pink in the meat. I usually set aside cheap cuts for them.

Impossible question to answer. I prefer steak house steaks that are broiled under super hot broilers. But, then again, at home, I love to cook them on very hot cast iron skillets, that surface is hard to beat as well. Then again, a char-broiled steak is quite tasty, I won't turn that down either.

JohnHB,
Actually the ribeye ribeye is close to 60 deg. I just do them however, but at comps for cooks choice, I do 45 deg on a diagonal cross hatch to the length of the steak according to how I plan on putting it in the box. If that's understood how I mean it lol kinda one of those "angle of the dangle has to be proportional to the mass of the arse" deals

I try to find steaks about 1 inch thick and season them with Oak Ridge Santa Maria. I then get my OTS screaming hot with RO lump and cook 3 minutes per side for a perfect medium rare.

I have found that using a set time per side works best for me. You will need to cook a few to determine what cook time you like the best.

I like salt n pepper on a ribeye. The flavor stands on its own. Maybe that's the South Texan in me. But I don't do my briskets that way.

Don't think I'd have the patience to reverse seer one. Now a tri-tip... That's another matter altogether. But, a rib-eye roast? Yeah, that's an appropriate use if time.

Those of you that like the high temp broilers of high end chop houses? +1!

I go primal on my Steaks( some call it cave man) I liberally salt my steaks with course sea salt and let them sit for 30 min per inch of thickness. Rinse, pat dry, get the lump screamin hot and drop them on the coals 3 min a side for 1" thick, rest for 10 min with a dollop of roasted garlic and rosemary compound butter on top.

I've been heavily salting steaks like this for three or four years and they really come out great. I don't go all caveman and toss them on the coals, but I do salt them. :-D

Steaks...well now...let's see...I've cooked a few hundred over the last 20 years of Friday Night Steak Nights. Our hands down favorite is simple salt and fresh cracked black pepper...kinda starts out like this...

unaqe4en.jpg

Pan seared in EVOO and butter...

a3a7a6y3.jpg

I'll let you know how it ends up shortly...:D

Done...:)

7ypeneju.jpg

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Steaks...well now...let's see...I've cooked a few hundred over the last 20 years of Friday Night Steak Nights. Our hands down favorite is simple salt and fresh cracked black pepper...kinda starts out like this...

unaqe4en.jpg

Pan seared in EVOO and butter...

a3a7a6y3.jpg

I'll let you know how it ends up shortly...:D

Done...:)

7ypeneju.jpg

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
Oh man :tsk:
This is the video that comes to mind when people Pan fry steaks, them look awesome
Though!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYiCPmwOV4A&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]LOTR You keep nassty chips! - YouTube[/ame]

Salt only/sear,rest,season,roast to desired doness.easy peasey.Some call it TREX.Never use this method with less than a 1.5 inch or thicker steak.Then again,if it ain't 1.5 or better you need to beat the heck out of it and chicken fry it.Just sayin.

I like to add a little smoke flavor to em so first I bring em to room temp and sprinkle Montreal seasoning on them. Then get a nice bed of coals close to the grate on one side. I put the steaks on the indirect side and some mesquite & hickory chips on the other and close up ther performer to smoke a bit. Smoke penetrates well indirectly on room temp meat. When the smoke stops coming out the top vent I finish them directly.Gets a nice char, good smoke flavor and medium in the center

Back