THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

code3rrt

Babbling Farker
I've been wanting to try my hand at a homemade ham for quite some time. So I found a basic brine recipe here, it appears to be one that is commonly used as follows;
1 gallon water
1.5 cups Kosher salt
2 cups dark brown sugar
8 tsp cure #1

I took the liberty of adding 2 TBSP Garlic Powder and 2 TBSP of whole allspice.

So I went to the store and picked up a small (4#) boneless pork shoulder roast. I also needed the pink salt, which seems to be not to common around here, tried a couple grocers with no luck, and then I remembered a local butcher shop that also smokes meats, and they gave me a small bag.

So I got home and cooked up the brine, let it cool, and was ready to toss in the pork roast and noticed the fine print........."Tenderness and juiciness improved with up to twelve percent solution of a patented solution........".

:doh:What I probably SHOULD have done, was toss that one in the freezer and go get a "clean" roast, for lack of a better term. Anyway, I went ahead and went with it, so we'll see what happens.
homemadeham001_zps8623cf61.jpg

In the brine
homemadeham002_zpsaed031cc.jpg

So anyway, I bought the little one for a learning experience, so far I've learned 1-read the label! 2-Don't be so darn impatient, really should have taken the time to get another roast, and 3-find a source for the pink salt, and I know the fine brothers here will chime in and school me on the rest:thumb:.
My plan is to take it out of the brine Sunday night, that's 2 days for a four pound roast, rinse, and cook it up Monday, indirect, on my kettle. I was thinking of cooking in the 225-250 range with some apple wood for smoke to an IT of 150-155 and rest. Figured I would forgo the glaze for now til I get the basic ham figured out.

Would love to hear thoughts and suggestions.........

Thanks!

KC

Looks like a good start. You may want to do a longer soak out to draw some saltiness out. After the soak out, let it rest for a few hours, then cut off a small chunk and pan fry it. That will give you an idea of taste and salt content.

This is one that I did a while back. If you think the salt is ok, I would definitely glaze it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147620

Looks like a good start. You may want to do a longer soak out to draw some saltiness out. After the soak out, let it rest for a few hours, then cut off a small chunk and pan fry it. That will give you an idea of taste and salt content.

This is one that I did a while back. If you think the salt is ok, I would definitely glaze it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147620

Thanks a bunch kp.......Great info and advice, the idea of slicing off a little tester slice to fry is perfect:thumb:.

KC

I am sure it will be fine. Their solution that they used is just a brine. You should be fine.
The last ham I did for the Big pig throwdown I smoked for about 9.5 hours. It was 18# ham. Take it to an IT of 150.

Back