TriTip method you prefer?

Hoss

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I have SRF prime tri tips.Cooked one like a steak to med rare.Cooked the second one by smoking and doing a sear at the end also to med rare.I really liked them.Family not so much.They would rather have ribeyes or fillet.Two women and a 10 YO boy.I am wanting to come up with a way for me to cook them that they like.I hate like the devil to grind them into burgers.Cook em like a chuck maybe? Exasperated! Possibly just eat them myself and cook chicken for them.Ha!

Eat them yourself and cook chicken for everyone else!!! :-D For a last resort how about cooking mid-rare again and shave really thin for awesome steak sandwiches? Such a great roast, and SRF is terrific. I'm sure someone will chime in "Cook it like a Brisket" but that's not my personal preference.

I'm a reverse sear guy, esp. when it comes to tri-tip. Not sure how to get yer fam to eat 'em - I think I'd just be grateful for that - my farkin wife & kids wreck that stuff!
Maybe serve on a baguette with chimichurri? Bacchus' thin slice idea sounds really good. I had a TT sammich today with pepperjack cheese and it was quite enjoyable.

Just curious, what is it they don't like about the Tri-Tip?

We have tri tip quite often. Salt and pepper rub and reverse sear until about 110. Pull and then put oak ridge Santa Maria rub on it and cover and rest while grill comes up to searing temp. Sear both sides quickly at nuclear temps and pull at no more than 125. Rest just a few minutes and cut thinly across the grain. We drizzle home made chimichurri over it. Family’s favorite meal!

c47df93d6d79f288eee07f5bdb469580.jpg
7bdbbe867a63633960fcc3785400ddfc.jpg
37d63d511f2f83af3d6c23e56f3b7959.jpg
787fc0b8a05724daeeb5fe07d297f0b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Personally I sear first and then finish indirect.
And I may get heckled a bit but...TT is one cut of beef that will actually be better if it's cooked to med-well...But not all agree...

I think it is important to remember that it is not a steak, it is a roast. You will never get the crust on a tri tip you would from a a think rib eye or new York.

Have you made other roasts? Did they Iike those?

The suggestion to cook and shave think for sandwiches is a good option if you are really looking to get these wonderful tri tips eaten. Personally I would take this as great news. More tri tip for me

What kinda gear ya got?

There really IS something about cooking them on a Santa Maria pit IF you have patience and a good fire. I have a 20”x30”, but it really isn’t as big as I’d like. You need a really hot hard wood fire and enough distance between the coals and the TT, then adjust the height when needed.

Other than that, reverse sear. SPG with your own twist. A bit of Cayenne for a bit of lip smakin’ goodness. Mop with a Garlic infused EVO. Lots of twists. Serve with good garlic bread. Do a search on Santa Maria BBQ for traditional sides and suggestions.

When visiting the BIL, I usually cook a TT on his gasser with Montreal Steak Seasoning, and it still turns out great.

Just don’t over cook it.

One of my favorites.

U could butterfly it and marinate it like carne asada, hoss. gonna want that marinade to really penentrate besides be able to sear it real quick

Thanks for the replies all.I appreciate the advice.Let them eat Chicken!Lol! I really may grind one into burgers just for an experiment.Maybe cook another one like a pot roast.....N.O.T.!!! :mmph::twitch:

We have tri tip quite often. Salt and pepper rub and reverse sear until about 110. Pull and then put oak ridge Santa Maria rub on it and cover and rest while grill comes up to searing temp. Sear both sides quickly at nuclear temps and pull at no more than 125. Rest just a few minutes and cut thinly across the grain. We drizzle home made chimichurri over it. Family’s favorite meal!

c47df93d6d79f288eee07f5bdb469580.jpg
7bdbbe867a63633960fcc3785400ddfc.jpg
37d63d511f2f83af3d6c23e56f3b7959.jpg
787fc0b8a05724daeeb5fe07d297f0b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Enlarged to show texture?

I rub it down with some Worcestershire sauce, then some fresh ground salt, some fresh ground black pepper, some steak seasoning and finally some fresh minced Rosemary.

I reverse sear it by placing the Tri Tip off to the side and let it slowly come up to an I.T. of 113 degrees.

I then take it off and loosely tented it with foil. I then opened up the vents and let the grill go nuclear!

I then place the Tri Tip on the CI grate for 3 minutes per side.

I then brought this in and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

I then sliced the Tri Tip in half along the seam where the grain chances direction.

I then thinly sliced each half across the grain.

OH YUM!

Just curious, what is it they don't like about the Tri-Tip?

Not sure.They just say “it’s OK but I would rather have steak” and they will eat it but they devour my steaks.

I think it is important to remember that it is not a steak, it is a roast. You will never get the crust on a tri tip you would from a a think rib eye or new York.

Have you made other roasts? Did they Iike those?

The suggestion to cook and shave think for sandwiches is a good option if you are really looking to get these wonderful tri tips eaten. Personally I would take this as great news. More tri tip for me

Sounds to me the preference for a steak over Tri-Tip may come down to texture, as JAKs pointed out. A good steak that is grilled well has a much higher ratio of surface area that's got a bit of a crust or char to it, vs slices of a much thicker piece of meat like a Tri-Tip. If that's the case, perhaps a bolder seasoning may be worth a try?

As others have said tri-tip is a roast, not a steak. MUCH better than a rump or round. My favorite roast.

Back