THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BigdogKC

Knows what a fatty is.
So my family and I are headed back east to NC to visit some family that I haven't seen in over 25 years. The plan is to drive the minivan and stop at camp sites to save money. I am all about that, except I am not sure how we will all 4 fit in the minivan for sleeping. Granted the kids are small...one hasn't even been born yet, and the other is only 3...but I am a big fellas and need some space :)

What do you all think about a Class C RV or a pop-up or a pull behind? I am trying to figure out economical and comfort, which don't seem to go hand in hand. Any advice on the trip in general would be great too; I have never driven this far on a trip, so I am not sure what to expect.

We usually take a tent on trips like that to save money. The key to comfort is a good, self-inflating air mattress. I bet the kids would love sleeping in a tent beside the minivan.

What do you all think about a Class C RV or a pop-up or a pull behind? I am trying to figure out economical and comfort, which don't seem to go hand in hand. Any advice on the trip in general would be great too; I have never driven this far on a trip, so I am not sure what to expect.

I don't think renting a RV would be any cheaper than stopping at hotels. I purchased a Class "A" and my kids still prefer to camp next to the RV in a Wally World tent that I purchased. We bought inflatable mattresses and a $99.00 A/C unit from Lowes to stick in the doorway. The A/C unit actually blows up the tent and keeps it nice and cold during the hot summer months. Another alternative is KOA. If you look online at KOA sites; they are known for being CLEAN and FAMILY FRIENDLY. They also have small cabins to rent as well.

Thanks for your input. We have decided to just use the mini-van and park at some KOA and other camp sites we found online.

Now I have another Question: One leg of our trip will be driving from Lexington, KY to Koxville, TN. Is there any BBQ joints that are must trys? Also what is some cool stuff that a family should stop to do in that area?

Back