Tried A4 Olive Wagyu...

gtsum

Babbling Farker
Awhile back I picked up some Olive wagyu from crowd cow and cooked one of them tonight. First time with wagyu, so wasn’t sure what to expect?

As soon as I took it out of the fridge and opened the package the fat was starting to melt...like grabbing a stick of cold butter. Sliced into strips and cooked a few at a time. First ones didn’t have enough salt and I was under whelmed a bit. Next batch was much better with a bit more salt and then pepper after the cook (30 seconds per side or so on a pan).

2c49455d854557541b48f8572aea6c2b.jpg

0f4c3105e928f978eb62d1d6b6bf8232.jpg

4f0f010e52ac1a4bc61322113e2b9d83.jpg

All in all, it wasn’t the life changing experience I thought it would be. It was very good, but I didn’t get the flavor bomb exploding in my mouth I was expecting/hoping for. I’ll try some A5 ribeye and see if that’s better. As it is, I wouldn’t spend the $140/lb or whatever it was on this Olive wagyu again.

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the review. The learning curve. One I will not have to experience myself.

Awhile back I picked up some Olive wagyu from crowd cow and cooked one of them tonight. First time with wagyu, so wasn’t sure what to expect?

As soon as I took it out of the fridge and opened the package the fat was starting to melt...like grabbing a stick of cold butter. Sliced into strips and cooked a few at a time. First ones didn’t have enough salt and I was under whelmed a bit. Next batch was much better with a bit more salt and then pepper after the cook (30 seconds per side or so on a pan).

All in all, it wasn’t the life changing experience I thought it would be. It was very good, but I didn’t get the flavor bomb exploding in my mouth I was expecting/hoping for. I’ll try some A5 ribeye and see if that’s better. As it is, I wouldn’t spend the $140/lb or whatever it was on this Olive wagyu again.

Memphis Elite

For what is worth, I didn't think the Ribeye was worth the money either. A great steak, but you can get great steak a lot cheaper.

The key IMO to cooking Wagyu is HOT and fast, you got the fast down however based on the color I'm thinking you should have gone hotter. I'm talking cast iron at 800+ degrees or over a charcoal chimney where the coals are 100% flaming hot with a grill grate over the chimney probably talking over 1200 degrees.

The key IMO to cooking Wagyu is HOT and fast, you got the fast down however based on the color I'm thinking you should have gone hotter. I'm talking cast iron at 800+ degrees or over a charcoal chimney where the coals are 100% flaming hot with a grill grate over the chimney probably talking over 1200 degrees.

I think you are right. I could of had the pan hotter. Will try that on the next one and see if it’s more impressive

Memphis Elite

I’m just glad it wasn’t a life changing event for me...I’d hate to have to try and afford eating wagyu all the time:)

Memphis Elite

Doing over a chimney would be pretty risky. So much fat that melts so fast you could end up with a grease fire cooked expensive meal.

Ripping hot cast iron is the best, and if not that a really hot nonstick skillet. No oil.

Doing over a chimney would be pretty risky. So much fat that melts so fast you could end up with a grease fire cooked expensive meal.

Ripping hot cast iron is the best, and if not that a really hot nonstick skillet. No oil.

Your are correct re the chimney, requires a good set a tongs and fast hands. Must keep the steaks turning almost non stop so they char and baste while turning. Won't take more than a minute depending on how thick the steaks are, the meat will be rare at best this method. Cast iron is best if not confident over a blazing chimney.

Agree ^^^

When cooking the A5 ribeye I got from Crowd Cow I found that the fat it released made it difficult to get a decent sear without it being H-O-T....it almost formed a protective coating over the meat which my Searzall could not overcome. We switched to a very hot cast iron pan with a "healthy" amount of oil inside and were able to get pretty decent Malliard in 20 to 30 seconds per side without overcooking the middle...AKA still rare.

Back