THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I am thinking of smoking and grilling a tri tip today but I forgot to put it in a marinade last night. The last two I did were marinaded over night and turned out great. So do any of you not marinade tri tips? I am sure it would still be very good but I sure liked the flavor I have gotten from the marinade.
Dave

I do them both ways you can also inject it ether way its all good

I usually season and sear then continue to cook sort of indirect and lower heat to desired temp. Only marinated ones I cooked were pre pakaged Costco Harris Ranch.

When I put tri-tip in the smoke, I just season it and get it in a low temp smoke for a while, then reverse sear it over hot wood coals.
I never have marinated a tri tip unless I was making fajitas with it.

When I put tri-tip in the smoke, I just season it and get it in a low temp smoke for a while, then reverse sear it over hot wood coals.
I never have marinated a tri tip unless I was making fajitas with it.

That has been my usual method except I have been marinating them thus far. I put them on the weber kettle to one side with a small fire to the other side with a couple hunks of hickory and a pan to catch drippings under the tri tip. When it reaches 135/140 I put it on the hot side and crank up the heat to sear it for a couple three minutes.
Dave

ricks tropical delight way of grilling tri tip is da bomb. check his thread out.

Dave, we just use Montreal Steak Seasoning and then a layer of lemon pepper as the rub. Do the reverse sear on the Weber to 140 and let rest about 5 minutes. Got lucky this week and got a couple of choice 4 lb tri-tips for $2.68 lb. Used a mesquite chunk about 3 inches square, and man it was really good. Maybe our favorate cut. Haven't marinated any but I am sure it's all good.

Only salt and pepper for me please. Lots of salt and pepper.

I sear it at 550-600* for 5 min a side and go indirect for about 20 to 30 min more until 140. Let rest and be prepared for a "blood" bath on the counter top after slicing.

I agree with Meat Burner, I think it is our favorite cut too.

The only marinate I ever use is a local product to CA (from Madera) called "Basque". It's good stuff. Other than that I go salt/pepper, sear, indirect until MR. Tri tips are best when not messed with too much. They have great flavor by themselves so no need to get fancy. Good luck!

If I use a soy sauce, combined with a good Terikaki sauce (Island Bros.), equal parts, and 3 minced garlic cloves, it only needs 2-3 hours marinading time. The soy sauce will over-cure the tri-tip if left longer. Then a light grind of black pepper is all, no additional salt to cook. Five minutes sear on hot coals per side, then indirect for 15 to 20 minutes on a closed Weber kettle, to 130 degrees. Boil the left over marinade and baste the tri-tip at the end of cooking. Heaven.

Back