Traegar Renegade Pellet Grill 209 BUCKS OFF ON AMAZON PRIME

The practical thing to do is BUY IT! Your mature enough to deserve it. Plus you've been wanting to expand that deck for awhile, this would be a great motivator for that proving you're thinking like an adult.

Wait, I think I went the wrong way...

Jeff

heres the perspective.. Blackstone 36, FEC100, Smokey Joe, DCS 48, Mini BGE, XLBGE

IMG_20180717_133358105_zpsgf6qrx2s.jpg

Klose Backyard Chef, Broilmaster P3, 2 Pit Barrels, Spicewine and Blackstone 17 on top.

IMG_20180717_133411230_zps3vbxh2g8.jpg

and this in the driveway

the%20beast_zpsxwyz1cce.jpg

but i think i can find a spot out by the tiki hut..

IMG_20180717_133441604_zpsq9s44uuo.jpg

I was thinking about a pooper, then the lawn mower died last week. New Honda where the pooper should be.:sad:

Not sure about the renegades, but the texas units that I have are not great at grilling. Traeger always advertises great searing capability, but I've never seen it on either of mine. I have cooked chicken breasts, fish, and even steaks that are ok, but not seared well. In my opinion, they are a lot better at slower cooks.

One of the things to consider when you look a complaints about Traeger smokers is that there are a LOT of them out there. Probably 75% or more of the pellet smokers ever sold are traegers. A lot of people love them.

I think you should go for it! :mrgreen:

On all my pellet pooper threads recently many people said Pellet Poopers are better smokers then they are grills you can’t sear on them -except for the nicer units . I scratched Traeger n camp chef n pit boss off the list from the start so I have not looked or research those three as to their models.

My camp chef DLX sears steaks just fine.

Anyway with 2 kids under 1 year of age my pellet pooper comes in handy. I love charcoal but sometimes it just isn’t possible. I say go for it!!

Do it!! It's not a grill, not a smoker. A groker?

If it needs a crazy high temp to induce a fast maillard reaction, there are obviously better things, but grilling doesn't always have to mean bathed in fire, in fact I like not having to monitor the Traeger as closely as a gasser or a weber. I've made delicious, smoke kissed burgers, salmon, meatloaf, steaks and tri tip on it so far in addition to smoking items at lower temps. Once you're above 300, you can use a cast iron (or other type) of grate to get a little browning if wanted.

Think of getting a Pellet Cooker like when you got your first fuel injection car/truck.

Fuel Injection versus carburetor

Mine was a 1986 Ford XLT Bronco 4X4

its not to be used for a smoker..its a grill, so no long cooks. Steaks, Salmon, Roasts, burgers, etc.. short and quick hits.

I agree, for that price it's a really good deal. BUT....I have a Traeger, and I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking to use it as a grill for really hot and fast. It's just a matter of opinion, and I don't know how hot you normally grill at, but it just doesn't get hot enough for real grilling, in my opinion.

They advertise it that way, but I think it's useless as a grill. Did multiple sessions on it, and then got tired of eating gray steaks and burgers, so I only use it for smoking now when my back's not up to dealing with the Backwoods.

I will say , though, it's actually a pretty nice smoker when using an Amazen tube with it. Good luck on your decision!

I agree, for that price it's a really good deal. BUT....I have a Traeger, and I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking to use it as a grill for really hot and fast. It's just a matter of opinion, and I don't know how hot you normally grill at, but it just doesn't get hot enough for real grilling, in my opinion.

They advertise it that way, but I think it's useless as a grill. Did multiple sessions on it, and then got tired of eating gray steaks and burgers, so I only use it for smoking now when my back's not up to dealing with the Backwoods.

I will say , though, it's actually a pretty nice smoker when using an Amazen tube with it. Good luck on your decision!

That testimonial, and a few others post from smitty and some trager owners earlier are helping to back off.. yeah the price is good, but if the quality isnt there, i will regret it..and hot and fast grilling with a decent seering ability is important.

If i wanted a gray steak, I'd lay it out in the sun. :drama:

thanks for all the input guys.. you saved me a 400 mistake. the trager may be a decent unit, but ive been around long enough that i think I need to stick with the higer end stuff. It seems like this would be like ditching my klose or SF and going back to the Hondo or Silver smoker.

Back