THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't really have a traditional Christmas meal, other than the ham thing which is excluded from this thread.

But when I was growing up, It was Christmas Eve mass at 5pm, followed by a trip to Vito & Nick's pizzeria on the Southwest Side.

Cracker thin, thin crust pizza, each and every year. That was a family tradition.

Ron, I see Vito & Nicks II just opened in Plainfield, so the tradition may start again!

(Yes, I understand from the Foodie site that this is the cousin, and not the original on the SW side, but similar recipes)

Great thread Ron!

Christmas dinner at our house is always chinese....easiest and a great way to unwind from a busy time. Scott

Yep - Typically Chinese food for me and mine, with maybe a movie thrown in. Have been to many a 7-fish Italian celebration and they are great. As good as Christmas Eve food can be, the best traditional holiday food for me was Christmas day. This guy http://www.nickmalgieri.com/bio.html is a family friend and hosts an open-house every Christmas day starting around noon. The traditional Italian foods he prepares and serves are beyond the imagination.

Picked up a 13 lb prime rib for Christmas dinner. It will be my first prime rib. I can't wait.

Hey Todd, how many people you figure a 13 lb. prime rib will feed? I gotta get my first one as well and not sure where to begin. It's kinda scary to drop that kinda jack on one piece of meat and hope to God you don't fark it up in front of God, the family and maybe Santa. :lol:

We always do boiled shrimp on Christmas Eve in my family. not sure what we'll get in Michigan for Christmas Eve. The PR will be for Christmas Day.

The only tradition we have is that we have an old office notebook that we write locations of recipes we'd like over the christmas period, then a week or so before we form it into menus and create a shopping list.

We then end up buying all the ingredients and then chopping and changing it all about when we cook!!!! Doh!!

The books an interesting read, my other half keeps on saying shes going to buy a nice notebook and transcribe it but I think it will loose something in the translation as the crossings out and scribbles add character!!!!

Christmas eve at our place devolved into pasta and meatballs because it's easy to cook and to serve. Not that there's anything wrong with that but it's just not festive enough for me. I reclaimed the holiday by insisting on a more sophisticated menu. Now we do a warm terrine of polenta, peppers, sausage, roasted garlic and fresh mozzarella, along with some roasted veggies, stuffed / smoked pork loin, olive and feta salad bacon wrapped scallops, etc... It's a lot more work but to me it's worth it.

As a kid when the whole family got together (like aunts, uncles, cousin, grandparents and so on) we had steak and baked potatos. They knew a butcher that would cut them a really good price on sirloin.

After getting married and families growing more distant if and when we all got together it was normal baked turkey and ham. I got tired of that crap and volunteered to smoke a turkey. Now I am on duty every thanksgiving and christmas as the offical turkey smoker. Lucked up on a great brine and injection recipe that just drives folks crazy.

Nothing pleases me more than seeing folks enjoy my cooking, they don't know it but by having me cook from now on they really are giving ME a present. I look forward to it every holiday.

I am cooking for the family at my parent’s house on Christmas Eve
The Prime Rib has become a tradition.

This is the menu:

Fresh Gulf Shrimp, Head-on marinated in dry sherry, garlic, Olive oil and dill. Shrimp grilled on the gas grill hot with the shell and heads on until very red. Served with fresh parsley and cilantro for garnish with Fresh lemon slices

Salmon Balls
(Store Bought Smoked Salmon wrapped around cream cheese & chives)
Served fresh spinach leaves, cleaned and trimmed.
Light olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing.
Fresh Bread with a Garlic and Rosemary infused olive oil.

Phil’s Prime rib roast Smoked on the SPICEBOX Mid-Rare
Rosemary and Onion Roasted Red potatoes
Zucchini and Roasted Red cherry tomato skewers (note: the red & green color)

Home Made:
Mint swirl Cheese Cake w Candy Cane Crumple Topping & Mint Garnish

Merry Christmas
Jimmy Brod
Smokin’ Cracker

Just for the record, my family and I are available to help fill the empty seats at most any of these meals that ya'll are putting together... But if that doesn't happen then we will most likely be enjoying a prime rib done ala Alton Brown in the terra cotta pot method. He makes it look so danged easy.

I am cooking for the family at my parent’s house on Christmas Eve
The Prime Rib has become a tradition.

This is the menu:

Fresh Gulf Shrimp, Head-on marinated in dry sherry, garlic, Olive oil and dill. Shrimp grilled on the gas grill hot with the shell and heads on until very red. Served with fresh parsley and cilantro for garnish with Fresh lemon slices

Salmon Balls
(Store Bought Smoked Salmon wrapped around cream cheese & chives)
Served fresh spinach leaves, cleaned and trimmed.
Light olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing.
Fresh Bread with a Garlic and Rosemary infused olive oil.

Phil’s Prime rib roast Smoked on the SPICEBOX Mid-Rare
Rosemary and Onion Roasted Red potatoes
Zucchini and Roasted Red cherry tomato skewers (note: the red & green color)

Home Made:
Mint swirl Cheese Cake w Candy Cane Crumple Topping & Mint Garnish

Merry Christmas
Jimmy Brod
Smokin’ Cracker

Hey Jimmy, can you share the cheesecake recipe? Oh and I love the zucc/cherry tomato skewer idea!! Are you marinating those in anything prior to grilling? I usually use Italian dressing for marinating zuccs.

Hey Todd, how many people you figure a 13 lb. prime rib will feed? I gotta get my first one as well and not sure where to begin. It's kinda scary to drop that kinda jack on one piece of meat and hope to God you don't fark it up in front of God, the family and maybe Santa. :lol:

We always do boiled shrimp on Christmas Eve in my family. not sure what we'll get in Michigan for Christmas Eve. The PR will be for Christmas Day.

Feeds about 15 ppl. I get my prime rib in 13lb. cryos from my distributor and usually feeds about 15 if it is the only meat. Feeds more with additional meats.

We have Christmas at different locations every year, so the menu changes every year. Mom still make all kinds of cookies, fudge, chocolate covered cherries, and lefse. While I was growing up, Christmas Eve when we were home in Auburn, we would have homemade pizza after the Christmas pagent at church.

My dad and I started this tradition last year..........I hope to keep it going this year. Those Primes were his X-mas gift's last year.
http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pics002wm7.jpg
http://img503.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pics008vg4.jpg
http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pics009pq1.jpg
http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pics012jq4.jpg
I rubbed both wit EVOO and some fresh rosemary, cracked pepper, salt. I also made slits in these babies and inserted some garlic. I made some garlic/curry mashed taters to go along with it and some quick au jus with the drippins and some red wine. My dad and I are in agreement that a new tradition has been started. If only they sold it for less!!
The cutting board looked like murder scene whe I was done with it. I will probably take them to about 120-125 internal this year.
It was farking good stuff.

Back