Tortilla and Corn Soup with Smoked Chicken.

fingerlickin'

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Since 2 foot long tri-tip sandwiches didn't seem like enough food to me to feed 6 adults. :crazy: I decided to do a couple chickens and try a new soup recipe I found.

I spatchcocked a couple birds. One got 3 eyes and the other Plowboys Fin & Feather. Cooked on the egg over lump and pecan chunks.

The soup turned out pretty good. The spoonful of sour cream at service made it though.

From what I remember the recipe goes like this.

1 large onion diced
2 garlic cloves sliced
2 poblanos diced (I fire roasted them and peeled them before adding)
2 tsp. ground cumin
pinch of salt and pepper
Saute the above in oil until onions are translucent.

Then add:
4 corn tortillas cut into 1 in strips
48 oz of chicken broth

Bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes.

Add 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and puree with an immersion blender.

Simmer 5 minutes.

Add:

2 cups or so of chopped chicken
2 ears of corn removed from cob. (I couldn't find any at the grocery store, I used 2 cans of sweet corn)

Simmer again.

Eat.

We also went apple picking in the morning.

Or apple eating...whatever you want to call it.

Since the egg was still running at 350*, why not some apple crisp and vanilla ice cream?

Besides the arse whooping the Eagles took, :tsk: it was a great day!

:peace:

Fingerlickin" It all looks good but I had to copy the soup recpie because it looked so good. I copied it and emailed it to myself so I would make sure to have it for later. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Fingerlickin" It all looks good but I had to copy the soup recpie because it looked so good. I copied it and emailed it to myself so I would make sure to have it for later. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

It was good, I'm having the rest for lunch today. I borrowed the recipe from Food and Wine Magazine. So if you don't like it you can blame them OK? :razz:

They actually called for blending sour cream with some cilantro to add on top of each bowl. I didn't feel like getting out the food processor so I just went with straight sour cream. Definitely made the soup, I like the little creaminess.

I rarely eat deserts, but apple crisp and vanilla ice cream is a NJ/PA treat that is hard to beat.

CD

Tru dat my friend. Especially when the apple crisp is still warm. Nothing better IMO. I'm not a sweets guy either though.

I love me some Chicken Tortilla Soup. The recipe I use is a bit different and uses Tomatillo's as well as chili powder and fire roasted tomato's. I also smoke my chicken to get the smoke flavor.

Back