Today's lunch: Honey Garlic smoked wings

PitRow

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
I've been craving wings for a while now, and today was the day to finally get it done. Plus there's a garlic throw down going on and I wanted to try a couple things.

Earlier in the week I had taken about a pound of wings out of the freezer to defrost so to start I took them out of the fridge and dried them really well with paper towels. I've been wanting to try the baking powder trick with wings for a while now, since I can never get the skin right. So I sprinkled them with 1/4 tsp or so of baking powder and tossed them around real good. I had the grill pre-warmed to 425 so the wings were put on a frog mat and went about 20 minutes before I gave them a flip. Looking pretty good at this point.
861a69dece7e9bdabe4df374a27946a8.jpg

I let them go another 20 minutes or so, and at that point they didn't look/feel quite as crisp as I wanted, so I gave them another 10 minutes then pulled them and took them inside to rest a bit.
f11b96a0c07ef18e5f12bdc6897b8423.jpg

While the wings were resting I MSU'd a sauce. I started with a pat of butter and a whole bunch of minced garlic.
58c2b016f9709f768bc14a066dd26d32.jpg

I let that saute for a few minutes until the garlic was nice and fragrant then added some more stuff. I didn't really measure, just added. A bit of honey, some soy sauce, a splash of rice wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, fresh grated ginger and a squirt of sriracha. I let that cook down a bit until it was nicely thickened.
9125eadeae940bf811bc085ca6918f55.jpg

Sauced and tossed the wings and plated them with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds
f20bc643f730fcea9007d86c6f06da46.jpg

Overall I liked them, however for the amount of garlic I used (must have been a 1/4 cup!) it wasn't really that pronounced in the finished product. I think the extra 10 minutes on the wings was a bit of a mistake too, they were nice and crispy but a little more dried out than I like. But they were a great lunch and something I would definitely do again with a few tweaks. And next time a bigger squirt of sriracha!

Last edited:
Back