To much red ring

Smokeyluv9660

Found some matches.
hello,I'm a new member. I've been trying to improve my brisket by upgrading to a Brinkmann Trail master. Well, it's better than what I had.
Using a remote digital thermometer duel probe.
I smoked a 13 lb brisket that had plenty of flex to it and smoked it at 350 - 400 degrees for 5 hours till it came up to 140 degrees. The smoker was up to temp ( 350 deg.). The. It took 3.5 hours to get to 200 degrees. The meat probe was inserted threw the side of the brisket where the flat meets the point.
The meat probe was inserted threw the meat else wear and fell threw like a hot knife through butter.
When the meat got to 140 I wrapped it in foil till it was done.
I used 50/50 of mesquite and apple.
My problem was when I sliced the flat the next day there was no red ring. All of the flat was red.
Did I take to long getting the meat up to 140 or does it look like I probably used to much wood to smoke with? I used real lump charcoal for heat.
Everyone loved the brisket cold.
Clicked on the paper clip in tool bar to show a picture on my iPhone but couldn't sow a pic for some reason.
Should I have smoked at a lower temp?
Meat was fat side up. When slicing it I noticed the flat was a little dry right where the knife breaks through starting from the fat side.
Any opinions would be appreciated.

Try uploading the picture to Photobucket and copy the IMG code from PB and paste it in your post here.

a picture would definitely help and try using photo bucket like Ron suggested , that is what I use too .

hello,I'm a new member. I've been trying to improve my brisket by upgrading to a Brinkmann Trail master. Well, it's better than what I had.
Using a remote digital thermometer duel probe.
I smoked a 13 lb brisket that had plenty of flex to it and smoked it at 350 - 400 degrees for 5 hours till it came up to 140 degrees. The smoker was up to temp ( 350 deg.). The. It took 3.5 hours to get to 200 degrees. The meat probe was inserted threw the side of the brisket where the flat meets the point.
The meat probe was inserted threw the meat else wear and fell threw like a hot knife through butter.
When the meat got to 140 I wrapped it in foil till it was done.
I used 50/50 of mesquite and apple.
My problem was when I sliced the flat the next day there was no red ring. All of the flat was red.
Did I take to long getting the meat up to 140 or does it look like I probably used to much wood to smoke with? I used real lump charcoal for heat.
Everyone loved the brisket cold.
Clicked on the paper clip in tool bar to show a picture on my iPhone but couldn't sow a pic for some reason.
Should I have smoked at a lower temp?
Meat was fat side up. When slicing it I noticed the flat was a little dry right where the knife breaks through starting from the fat side.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
I have the same Pit if your going by the installed thermo it's off by 100 deg to the grate so you where cooking around 250 evident by the brisket taking 5 hrs to get to 140. I do briskets at 300-325 grate temp and they are done in 5-6 hrs. I burn all wood mostly post oak and a little mesquite. How long was the salt on the brisket before it went on the pit? the longer it sits the more pronounced the SR. I could care less is I get a ring or not as it has nothing to do with taste so don't get hung up on a SR it's just visual.
I cook fat down until I wrap at 4 hrs in Paper then it's fat up to finish.

DSCF0210.jpg

Back