THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoke Daddy

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
JR
THIS is the question!:becky:

Trying to figure out what the majority of you do regarding brisket, boston butt, whole chicken and whole turkey. Injection works WONDERFUL when frying whole turkey; but this is BBQ!!!:thumb:

I inject them all. Chicken with broth and a stick of butter. Pork gets apple juice. Brisket gets a beef broth compliments of Minors broth and Au Jus.

Brine chicken, sometimes to butts but usually not and only inject briskets if they aren't nicely marbled in the flat.

I think if you're smoking on an Egg or a Pellet cooker then an injection can help make up for some of the loss in flavor you get vs an offset. With a hardwood smoker, nope.

Chicken is a no brainer, takes brine really well which keeps it from drying out. Pork Butt is one of those "If I have time" meats. It's better injected, but doesn't suck if it's not! I inject Brisket because I spend a LOT of time trimming, rubbing, etc. and I want the best product I can put out. Try a commercial injection like Butcher BBQ or Kosmos Q (both on Amazon) that contain Phosphates which help your meat fibers hold onto the additional moisture. Can't tell you how many times I have seen people complain on FB about injecting their meat with some vinegar solution which leaves track marks in the meat. What were they thinking? Without Phosphates it will just leach out when the proteins start to denature so don't bother.

Try a commercial injection like Butcher BBQ or Kosmos Q (both on Amazon) that contain Phosphates which help your meat fibers hold onto the additional moisture.
I also use Butcher BBQ for brisket. It's a great flavor. Unfortunately after looking at the label I think it's the MSG that makes it taste so good.

People overseas been consuming MSG for 100 s of years , said to be some of most heathly population on earth ..... if you eat mcdonalds MSG should not scare you one bit :becky:

I’m actually injecting a brisket with kosmos for the first time this weekend. I do chicken and pork when I’m not lazy....which is about 1/4 of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back