THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Did a cook this weekend, been doing several lately to learn my new R&O Off-Sets ways and learned something about wood.

Last week I had posted asking about 2-3" pecan limbs that I had gathered from my buddy's house. They had been cut and stacked in a dry location and aged for about 6 months. I couldn't get the things to burn to save my life! Ended up switching to my split oak.

It may have been in part to where I was cooking. The wind kept changing direction (was more of a refreshing breeze) and would either come perpendicular to the firebox or blow gently into it. I notice with the dampers half open that when the breeze blew perpendicular to the firebox that the temp wouldn't take a drop but that the fire would start having issues.

So 2 big questions:
1. Those with Off-Set cookers - when setting up your pits how do you position the firebox for handling breezes? How do you position your pits for heavy wind?

2. Those with Off-Set cookers - I am leaning towards SPLIT wood and not un-split rounds, such as from smaller tree limbs. What are y'all's thoughts on this?

Thanks,
G

I live on a lake; my smoker is +-200 feet from the shore. It's too large to move around, so in answer to your first question; I dont move it. Regardless of type of wind and/or direction, it stays the same.

For the second question, I use fairly large VERY dry (and warmed usually) splits. It's RARE that I use an unsplt limb section.

Back