THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queencity

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm sure this has been covered already, butt, i'm cooking 2 pork butts saturday for a party. Plan on cooking temp at 275-300. Butts are about 10 lbs each. Roughly how many hours am I looking at cooking? I plan to foil, need to pull them before i leave. I have to leave home by 5pm. Thanks in advance

At that temp, you should be good at about 12 hours. I might would give myself 14 hours to be on the safe side. You can always hold them over in a cooler, wrapped in towels or a blanket.

At 275*, and panning / wrapping them when they get the color I like, mine usually take about an hour a pound. Always best to add extra time for resting and what if's...

Jeez, At 275-300 with wrapping I would've guessed maybe 6-8 hours, maybe I'm losing my touch :noidea:

I would start a little earlier than you think you need to. Butts are super forgiving and will keep hot in a cooler for hours if you finish early. Also, if they don't seem to be finishing fast enough, just up your temps. Esp after wrapping you can go 350-400 with no ill effects. I've cooked unwrapped butts at 350 and had them finish in under 5 hours, just as good as an all day cook :thumb:

Thanks all. I've always read they take about an hour per pound but i dont know if its my cooker or the quality of meat but my butts never take as long as i've read elsewhere. My initial thought was 8-9 hours. I think i'll wake up an hour earlier than i planned. Wake @ 4:30am, have em on by 5:15-5:30ish?

Back