Time to Dust off the Old UDS: Vent Mods Question...

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Hard to believe I built this almost 12 years ago, thanks to the epic Norco Redneck UDS build thread:

qKTOuf3.jpg

It's been through a number of moves, and all sorts of milestones and it's certainly cooked up a bunch of great food, from brisket, roadside and rotisserie chicken, pastrami, ribs, you name it.

I've been using the Hunsaker vortex basket for the past few years when I'm using purely for smoking.

Here's my question:

I have 3 3/4 inch ball valves as vents. The problem is I didn't weld the conduit nuts on the outside , so rust has formed around the pipe nipples and has weakened the steel around the pipe nipples to the point it's unstable.

I'm planning on increasing the size of the ball valves to 1 inch, but only using two of them, and plugging up the 3rd hole.

Any thoughts on this approach, or should I just add the 3rd ball valve and be done with it?

Up to you.

2 1" holes have more area than 3 3/4" holes- not much more- but it's still more.

If the side that has the cap on it is good, I'd leave it alone and go 2 1" ball valves, nipples and conduit nuts.

I used these with mine: https://bbqsmokersupply.com/uds-parts/1-1-2-id-air-inlet-or-exhaust-for-uds-smoker-w-flange.html I've got 3 on the drum and only ever need to open 1 about halfway.

I would tend to do this above. The question is how do you increase the size of your inlet hole on the drum? I got a couple of 55 drums with the three 3/4 inch inlets that I would like to retro fit with above flanges for higher temp cooks. Also want to gift those drums to a couple of nephews after upgrades.

Thanks,

Robert

I would tend to do this above. The question is how do you increase the size of your inlet hole on the drum? I got a couple of 55 drums with the three 3/4 inch inlets that I would like to retro fit with above flanges for higher temp cooks. Also want to gift those drums to a couple of nephews after upgrades.

Thanks,

Robert

My plan to increase the size of my vent openings on my UDS from 3/4 to 1 inch is to use a larger step bit. The one I still have that I used to bore the 3/4 holes when I first built the drum only goes up to 3/4. So I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08357MZ94

I would imagine there are bits that go up to 1 1/2, if not, there are single width metal bits you can find that will do the job.

How bout reusing the current valves and rotate/drill new holes 40º or evenly spaced around the bottom and close up the old holes.

I'm a nut for reusing the junk I have.

Hmmm. I'm kinda liking this approach.

Now you've got me reconsidering my plan using the larger ball valves. How well do these seal when you close them? Also curious as to the mounting hardware you used.

When I shut down after a smoke, the fire will be out and the drum cool enough to put away in about an hour. So I'd say they seal pretty well.

I got the ones that you bolt on. I used high temp RTV for a "gasket" and stainless bolts, washers and nuts to mount it.

Back