Question about the newer Weber Kettle

Juggy D Beerman

Full Fledged Farker
Yo to all, I recently purchased an almost like new 22" Weber Kettle off of Craigslist for $25.00. According to Weber, the letters "DO" on the lid vent indicate the Kettle was a 2005 model. It has been over 20 years since I have broken in a new kettle. Most of mine were given to me or purchased used. There is no creosote built up on the inside of the lid and I am having a difficult time getting the lid to seal or even stay sealed when the fire is burning. As we Kettle heads are well aware, the fire burns hotter during indirect cooking when the lid is not sealed completely around the bottom rim.

I have three other Kettle lids that all seem to seal fine on that new Kettle bottom. The lips on these three lids seem to be a little deeper than the new one. One of those three lids is a spare so I will use that lid instead of the lid that came with the Kettle.

So is this sealing problem I am having, is this common with the newer Kettles? The Kettles I checked out in Ace Hardware and Lowes all seemed to have loose fitting lids.

BTW, I checked the ages of my four lids using Weber's info site. The oldest lid I have goes back to 1988!

Lager,

Juggy

• Thanks
Reactions: cow
I bought a brand new performer about 5 pr so years ago, and the bottom kettle portion was out of round. The lid would not fit. Weber sent me a new lower portion promptly, I still have the out-of-round one, unused in my shed, maybe Will try to make it round someday.

I bought a brand new performer about 5 pr so years ago, and the bottom kettle portion was out of round. The lid would not fit. Weber sent me a new lower portion promptly, I still have the out-of-round one, unused in my shed, maybe Will try to make it round someday.
If there are no dents a ratchet strap will make quick work to make it round.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Back