Time for a new range. Ideas?

I bought a whirlpool gas range about 5 years ago, has the black enamel top, get stainless if going gas, electric is way more versatile than gas, try simmering something on every eye on a gas range and you will find you cant, a electric or induction is no problem, If I didn't love my cast iron I would be saving for a induction. Your really not supposed to use cast iron on the flat glass surfaces , I see folks posting they do all the time but I have read they sell plates to put down so you don't damage the top. the less electronics the better you be lol cant have a induction without a lot of electronics , keep a warranty on them if you can

Appreciate the input! Is yours a 30" or are you one of the lucky ones with a 36", 48" or 60"? I've been looking at the 30" RNB304BPMV2C with the double pro-style door. Wife isn't quite on board yet, but maybe I won't reset the Samsung next time it crashes and tell her it has to be replaced :mrgreen:

I put a huge part of my remodel budget into my stove(s). Total crap cabinets and counter tops left enough for awesomeness.

I have a 36" 6 burner (3 22k burners, 1 simmer, 2 standard) sitting right next to a 24" full griddle top.

Basically it's a 60" but with one full size 36" oven and one small 24". Plus you get a 24" griddle and all the burners are next to each other.

It also ended up significantly cheaper since the 24 was a floor model that they already had marked down.

Thanks, all!

Now you got me looking at Blue Stars... nice stuff - pricey, but not really compared to induction ranges.

I would not consider a Samsung anything. We had to replace our Samsung washer at 7 years and have recently had trouble with a four year old Samsung dryer. Our 10 year old Samsung dishwasher has recently decided to start itself at night several times, so we have to keep the switch turned off if we aren't using it.

I have to agree with some of the others; while induction is easy to clean, it just doesn't have the ump to fire a large wok or a large paella pan.

We shopped and compared for about 6 months and wound up purchasing a Wolf commercial stove. My wife didn't care for the trademark red knobs, but we were able to order it with black knobs. After having this for over 10 years, there is still nothing we do not like about the stove / range / oven.

Take your time and do your homework; compare and compare again. What works for me or someone else, may not be what would be ideal for you and your family.

We re did the kitchen in 2014 and only had space for a 30” range. We went with the GE Cafe and have been thrilled with it ever since.

High output burners, center griddle available, slide pots around to different sections a without issue, ability to simmer...it works very well for us. The oven has really good space, convection works well, and the warming drawer is functional.

https://www.brayandscarff.com/search/?q=ranges&min-price=&max-price=&brand[]=Cafe&filter=true

Bruce

Once you go open burners like the Bluestar, you will never want to go back. I loved cooking on our commercial stoves in the restaurant and IMO the Bluestar is as close to that you can get at home. But, that said budget for a good hood, I installed a vent a hood.

As Iamadman said, induction is great, but you can't wok like a big 22k open burner. On The bluestar, you just removed the center part of the grate and it created a built in wok ring. The fire goes around and up the wok to create the "dragon breath" effect of a blazing hot wok. The induction can't get the sides of the wok hot without over heating the bottom and really, a flat bottom wok does not work as well as a hand hammered round wok. I do miss that part.

I found a bluestar on ebay 5 years ago, I got it for 2999.99 smoking deal. They are out there, just do your homework.

Just curious, have you looked the the Fridgidaire Gallery Induction? They are more reasonably priced than a lot of others. We don't have a gas hookup, so I have been planning to replace our electric with induction when the time comes.

The new model with the air fryer has a few bad reviews, but when I really started reading them closely, it really sounds like 1 or 2 people had issues and left like 10 negative reviews each. The model previous they had for a couple years before that generally got good reviews and I'm guessing not that much has really changed since an air fryer is really just a convection oven anyway with a frying basket.

Absolutely love this Jennair gas downdraft. No need for a hood as everything is vented down and out under the floor. The left side functions either as an indoor grill or griddle. Its eleven years old now and still works flawlessly.

Attachments

• BE0077FB-03EF-44BE-BB80-C828CDFDE5CB.jpg
    BE0077FB-03EF-44BE-BB80-C828CDFDE5CB.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 3C634DDC-09AA-4AFD-93B9-CDD21803B4FB.jpg
    3C634DDC-09AA-4AFD-93B9-CDD21803B4FB.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 64
Bosch Induction 800 Series when we redid our kitchen. We are all electric, and it's a short learning curve, plus some great features. Like having the flat glass top as extra countertop "real estate".

Just curious, have you looked the the Fridgidaire Gallery Induction? They are more reasonably priced than a lot of others. We don't have a gas hookup, so I have been planning to replace our electric with induction when the time comes.

The new model with the air fryer has a few bad reviews, but when I really started reading them closely, it really sounds like 1 or 2 people had issues and left like 10 negative reviews each. The model previous they had for a couple years before that generally got good reviews and I'm guessing not that much has really changed since an air fryer is really just a convection oven anyway with a frying basket.

I actually got the Frigidaire Gallery cooktop, was able to purchase it for under 900 bucks. Real easy install and has been working very well. I looked at more expensive induction cooktops, but I was a little concerned I would not like the style, so I thought I could take a 900 dollar flyer on it. Almost all of my cookware was induction ready, so no issues there. I like the flat top, no knobs for cleaning, but it is just ok in the sense of response. What I really appreciate about induction, is that there is little additional radiant heat put out. You don't realize how much additional heat is generated under and around the pan to get it to temp with gas or standard electric.

My current dual fuel is a Frigidaire Professional Series and has performed pretty well for 16 years, with the exceptions noted.

If I didn't love my cast iron I would be saving for a induction. Your really not supposed to use cast iron on the flat glass surfaces , I see folks posting they do all the time but I have read they sell plates to put down so you don't damage the top.

We just installed a GE induction top to replace an old Thermador that was there when we bought the house. As for cast iron, yes, you can use it on an induction. Obviously, the best would be to use enamel clad cast iron. However, the easy way is just to buy a roll of parchment paper. Tear off what you need and place under your cast iron and cook. No scratches, and no issues. By the way the wife loves the induction top. You get really good control. No, gas is not an option for us as there is no line to the kitchen island where the cooktop resides.

Back