THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
A friend of mine contacted me on FB with questions about a cooker for sale at Cabela's. I think they sell the same thing at Bass Pro Shops. It's a River Grille Ceramic Grill - here's a link - http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp...GORY_SEQ_104201280&WTz_l=Unknown;cat104201280

Have any of you tried one of these? Does it even compare to a BGE?

I did a search here and couldn't come up with that company name. I'm not a ceramic guy myself so I need to rely on you all to give some decent advice. Thanks!

Looks like a clone of a Big Green Egg and I'm sure they are trying to sway buyers with a lower price than the egg. I have owned my BGE for over 10 years and it has never failed me. If it were me I would have to pass on the clone and go with the egg. Primos are very good too although I've never cooked on them. BGE has lifetime warranty to original owner. Does this one?

Would have to actually see one. Sealing tolerances are real important to the overall efficiency and control. As with the Bubba keg and Comet and Bayou Classic this was no comparison to the BGE.

For $500 it looks kind of small, I paid $888 for my XL BGE a couple of weeks ago and it's an Egg, which is what everything is usually compared to. I don't like to always wish I would have bought the real deal. But I’m bias and I have only cooked on my egg. So take it with a grain of salt.

You can cook Q on anything. If this meets your needs, go for it. It is size that matters. The rest is meat, heat and smoke.

For $500 it looks kind of small, I paid $888 for my XL BGE a couple of weeks ago and it's an Egg, which is what everything is usually compared to. I don't like to always wish I would have bought the real deal. But I’m bias and I have only cooked on my egg. So take it with a grain of salt.
$888 is an exceptional price for an XL.
Any idea on the grill dia. of the clone?

BGE all the way

I'm a BGE guy myself and highly recommend them, but I would say be wary of "off-brand"... sometimes you get what you pay for. Primo's do a good job cooking, but a buddy got the large oval Primo due to price and the oval aspect (a little more versatility) and within 1 month, the hinge failed on him. It still smokes some mean cow, but not as good as my BGE... I may be biased though.

I am the guy that Monty3777 posted the question for and I finally registered. Anyway, I agree about the concern about knockoffs. I am real close to buying the Primo XL. I get the concern about the friend's hinge. I guess anyone can have some trouble with a particular thing. In my town the primo dealer seems to be about a hundred times cooler than the BGE dealer and for me right now, that is the difference. I appreciate the comments.

I am the guy that Monty3777 posted the question for and I finally registered. Anyway, I agree about the concern about knockoffs. I am real close to buying the Primo XL. I get the concern about the friend's hinge. I guess anyone can have some trouble with a particular thing. In my town the primo dealer seems to be about a hundred times cooler than the BGE dealer and for me right now, that is the difference. I appreciate the comments.

Brent, very good point about the quality of the dealer. I've got a couple eggs, but my dealer is horrible. He refuses to cooperate with the warranty agreement, so both times (in 7 years) I needed warranty work I had to go elsewhere. I recently discovered a hairline crack in the base & BGE is replacing it, but because my guy won't assist I had the option of having it shipped at my expense ($100) from Georgia or figuring something else out. Fortunately, I'm going to the Waldorf Eggfest & the dealer there is absolutely fantastic, they agreed to take care of it for me, so I'll pick up my new base at the fest. A good dealer that will stand behind the product is very important, & it sounds like the Primo guy is. That would be the deal maker for me. Marc

I'll 2nd Zippylip's advice. I have two eggs and the dealer I bought them through is awful. To have a dealer that backs up the warranty and is good to deal with means a lot to me.

Brent, very good point about the quality of the dealer. I've got a couple eggs, but my dealer is horrible. He refuses to cooperate with the warranty agreement, so both times (in 7 years) I needed warranty work I had to go elsewhere. I recently discovered a hairline crack in the base & BGE is replacing it, but because my guy won't assist I had the option of having it shipped at my expense ($100) from Georgia or figuring something else out. Fortunately, I'm going to the Waldorf Eggfest & the dealer there is absolutely fantastic, they agreed to take care of it for me, so I'll pick up my new base at the fest. A good dealer that will stand behind the product is very important, & it sounds like the Primo guy is. That would be the deal maker for me. Marc

I would keep complaining to BGE about your local dealer not working with you until it's fixed.

I would keep complaining to BGE about your local dealer not working with you until it's fixed.

thillin, believe me I tried. My first claim was a firebox & ring. My dealer refused to assist & BGE in Georgia was very helpful in the end, they worked with me through the distributor & some other dealers to find a way to get me the stuff & in the end they shipped the parts to me at no cost. My dealer is primarily a high end outdoor kitchen store, focusing on those huge built in gassers & patio furniture. The BGE's he has are tucked away in the corner, he doesn't really promote them nor does he seem to know much about them or even care. When I bought my first one there many years ago I wasn't really thinking about these issues. I realize in hindsight it's just a bad dealer & I'll leave it at that. I go to a few fests & live relatively close (45 min) to a very good dealer so I'm not too worried about it.

This looks excatly like a BGE knockoff I saw Sam's club last fall. Although the cart was nice I wasn't impressed at all with the look and feel of the grill. If you zoom in on the picture you can see the white glue oozing off the gasket. It also looked poorly assembled in places like the lower vent. I would pass on this one if it were me. BTW I don't own a BGE but I do have 2 Bubba Kegs.

It appears to be a "Grill Dome" brand unit to me, by the shape of the dome.

Back