This Rocket Scientist Is Tracing Black Ingenuity Through Barbecue

There has probably been a lot of BBQ history lost to time, just because it never got the initial recognition it surely deserved. In N.C., may pitmasters are second, third generation and try to pass the Art on.
Both of those articles probably just scratch the surface of the History of BBQ, but both were well worth the reading.

Very interesting. I'm glad he is capturing the oral history of those pitmasters before they are gone. I was surprised to read that there were less than 1 dozen whole hog pitmasters left.

My love of bbq can be traced back with my dad around 5-6 years old. Visiting tiny hole in the wall places in rural oklahoma / inner city tulsa and okc. Places that look like they were about to fall down, and the served up the best bbq i can remember.

Leos bbq in okc, and wilsons (Now closed) in tulsa. I dont remember the names of the rural places.

I love reading about that stuff, but at the same time it makes me think of all the great BBQ I haven't had. One of the first, if not the first, things I wanna do when I retire (won't be very soon...) is go around to the places like the ones listed in those articles. Scott's is squarely at the top of the list.

Great stuff - I can't get enough of it. Thanks for posting!

Some cool historical pix here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/north-carolina-state-archives/sets/72157606179591876/with/2671310200/

Back