This might be the first year i don't cook a Turkey

When I was growing up many of the Italian kids in my neighborhood had lasagna for Thanksgiving. It was way better that the bone dry turkeys many of the other kids had to suffer through.

Have lasagna!

Can you postpone your gathering until Saturday? I know people who do that so they can buy everything on sale.

You’re describing our Christmas growing up. Lasagna, meatballs and pork…all homemade, sans pasta. However, the prime rib I made for Christmas is the new tradition according to my parents. I still want to convince my dad to make lasagna.

Thanksgiving is my mother in laws holiday…and I am TOTALLY okay with that.

$.49 store brand and $.99 butterball turkeys at Piggly Wiggly in our area of Wisconsin this week, requires a $30 purchase to get that deal. I picked up 2 12 pound butterballs, saving one for later. A lot of other grocery deals in store to be had, I like to stock up the pantry this time of year.

Well, finally a grocery store in my area put out a sale that starts today for $0.49/lb with $25 purchase. They really are holding out on these sales too close to thanksgiving day.

Stopped buying frozen turkey many years ago. Ever try Peacocks Poultry Farm? Still time to get an order in.

hmm I wonder how much they cost. Thanksgiving is small and sort of an afterthought but I could try it. practice Thanksgiving is Saturday. it could be close to 20 heads counting kids. I have an 18 lbs butterball destined for the pit boss and dug out a 12lbs Meijer bird from the bottom of the freezer. I was thinking of firing up the big easy for that one. if I have too much turkey Thanksgiving giving may be leftovers

hmm I wonder how much they cost. Thanksgiving is small and sort of an afterthought but I could try it. practice Thanksgiving is Saturday. it could be close to 20 heads counting kids. I have an 18 lbs butterball destined for the pit boss and dug out a 12lbs Meijer bird from the bottom of the freezer. I was thinking of firing up the big easy for that one. if I have too much turkey Thanksgiving giving may be leftovers

I’m doing the same thing with a chicken this Saturday. I wonder how many here do a practice bird before the main event?

Last edited:
Oh man. I'm looking at possibly smoking 5 turkeys this year. Fingers crossed for some good deals this Sunday. I've bought Butterball through Aldi the last 5 years or so.

Here in the land of Milk and Honey, Walmart finally put out the reduced price frozen Butter Balls for $1.28/lb. Got a 14 pounder for the oven that no one eats as it is mainly cooked for the juices in the roasting bag to go into the dressing. Will smoke an Ellington brand boneless breast that everyone eats. Also will smoke a ham. We will have 19 people. I really enjoy the get together but it's a lot of work as my wife and I produce about 90% of the food.

I have never seen a fresh Butter Ball. Sam's has fresh turkeys, but I didn't take note of the price or brand.

I knew it was too good to be true. Went there around 1pm and all they had left was a few 12lb turkey's. I ended up buying grabbing two 12lbers and spending $50 instead of $25. They know how to get ya. I bet they didn't even have any over 12 lbs even if i came earlier.

Well, finally a grocery store in my area put out a sale that starts today for $0.49/lb with $25 purchase. They really are holding out on these sales too close to thanksgiving day.

How much money are you saving here? Seems like a lot of stressing for a couple of bucks.

Personally, holidays and cooking for others are when I'm willing to spend whatever it takes for a good experience. It's a chance to be indulgent and sharing.

How much money are you saving here? Seems like a lot of stressing for a couple of bucks.

Personally, holidays and cooking for others are when I'm willing to spend whatever it takes for a good experience. It's a chance to be indulgent and sharing.

I saved a lot. I wasn't happy with the small turkeys, but, they were offering a $5 off $30 purchase if you singed up to their app. So me and the wife signed up. Plus, the $25 purchase included the price of the Turkey before the sale so $1.49lb took away $18 off the $30 purchase so i only had to buy $12 dollars worth of other ingredients i needed for thanksgiving anyway. Which went quick.

Im actually glad it worked out this way, I am going to roast one turkey and deep fry the other. So i will have drippings for gravy. And i nice crisp skin to boot.

I saved a lot. I wasn't happy with the small turkeys, but, they were offering a $5 off $30 purchase if you singed up to their app. So me and the wife signed up. Plus, the $25 purchase included the price of the Turkey before the sale so $1.49lb took away $18 off the $30 purchase so i only had to buy $12 dollars worth of other ingredients i needed for thanksgiving anyway. Which went quick.

Im actually glad it worked out this way, I am going to roast one turkey and deep fry the other. So i will have drippings for gravy. And i nice crisp skin to boot.

To me 12lb birds are perfect. They cook faster, are less likely to dry out.

Getting two small birds instead of one large one also means there are more drumsticks to go around.

Market Basket brand frozen 69 cents/lb. Shady Brook Farms Fresh 99 cents/lb.

This will be the first year in a long time where I'm actually cooking on Thanksgiving Day since the grandkids will be visiting. Usually I grill a small turkey on Black Friday since we're always with relatives on T day, meaning no leftovers.

My wife and I had an interesting discussion re: fresh vs frozen. She insisted that I shouldn't buy a fresh (unfrozen) turkey any sooner than 2 days before Thanksgiving. According to USDA guidelines she is right. But I argue that fresh turkeys are sitting in the display case at the supermarket for longer than the 2 day guideline. At least I think they are, I'll check today during my shopping trip.

I really don't want to venture anywhere near Market Basket this weekend or next week due to the crowds so I may just buy frozen and go with that. Oddly enough, the Shady Brooks Farm fresh turkey is actually frozen.

I've never really thought about the fresh turkey guidelines since I'd grill it within a day or two after purchase.

Harris Teeter Premium Frozen Turkeys $0.29 per Lb with additional $40.00 purchase not including Turkey. My cost with senior discount was $3.04 for 11.03 lb turkey.

To me 12lb birds are perfect. They cook faster, are less likely to dry out.

Getting two small birds instead of one large one also means there are more drumsticks to go around.

I tend to agree that 12 is a good weight and would do 2 smaller birds if I needed more. I went with the larger bird thinking it would be enough but as the head count rose I got nervous and broke out a spare bird.

I’m doing the same thing with a chicken this Saturday. I wonder how many here do a practice bird before the main event?

Practice Thanksgiving has become a tradition of it's own here. Its usually 2 Saturdays before Thanksgiving to allow enough time in between. With my dry brining method the holiday bird needs to be defrosted by Monday so technically that one should be in the fridge already. I keep threatening to serve leftovers for Thanksgiving

Back