THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

yes sir
pwOC4sih.jpg

X3SkN9hh.jpg

KmGOJXth.jpg

Sako that looks fantastic. I've only used mine for pizza and often thought about what else I can do in it, now I know!

I was born and raised on a farm. We prided ourselves on doing the job with what you have at the time.

Any moron can remove a bolt with a fancy ratchet and socket in their air conditioned shop. You ever done it at night with a leather belt and a playing card??? :p

Kinda like searing a steak on a camping grill in the wind, with temps in the 20's? Without a lid? :wink:

Ummm tom?

You know that’s a fail right?

749° isn’t even close to 991°...

#seewhatimsayin

:becky:

No, I'd hardly call 749° a "fail". Even if it is 242° shy of 991°. 749°F, is still hot.

I decided to do the other two steaks from the three pack I bought the other day, using a rub that I found right in here offered up by forum member Moose. Absolutely delectable rub I might add, and very simple to make. A big thanks to Moose.

KJ, Kamado Joe. Reverse sear this time.

llBHvxYh.jpg

Got these up to 110° internal on the top rack before taking the heat upward for the sear. Cast iron of course. Same Royal Oak lump.

Jdtnipbh.jpg

I like to sear hot and with the hottest tool that I have available. Removed the bottom SS grate and replaced it with the second of the cast iron grates. Put both cast iron grates on the bottom tier.

....The IR reading is likely fine. I have checked mine with a high temp thermocouple and my Kamado can easily exceed 1000 F. .....

Yep. I believe you.

Jacked up the Kamado Joe. This time shy of the 800°F mark at the dome that is depicted in the first post of this thread. But while shy of that 800° at the dome, still 1,034° F peak, 1030° when the pic was taken and pointed on and hitting the cast iron of the cast iron grates on the bottom tier. It was burped before opening it fully to prevent backdraft.

tsZkSeuh.jpg

About 1 minute per side give or take a few seconds. Both cast iron grates lowered to the bottom tier on the KJ.

rNunLWzh.jpg

0mf8HaCh.jpg

And I think that I got a good result for a $7.00 steak. Best $7.00 steak I've ever tasted anyway.

tJPNdn3h.jpg

rq92BThh.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you sir. I have to say that this rub that Moose came up with, is incredible. Ingenius in it's simplicity.

I can only imagine right now what it would do for a decent piece of meat, but I hope not to have to imagine for too long..

Thank you sir. I have to say that this rub that Moose came up with, is incredible. Ingenius in it's simplicity.

I can only imagine right now what it would do for a decent piece of meat, but I hope not to have to imagine for too long..

Thinking you should share the rub recipe with us... instead of making us hunt it down :)

LoL

I absolutely love the fact that you go off on using the right tools...then light your expensive komado, get those lumps up to serious temps, then half sear your low grade beef on a griddle? LoL

Should have just got the Rec Tec Bullseye...it's a pellet grill you know...

Last edited:
LoL

I absolutely love the fact that you go off on using the right tools...then light your expensive komado, get those lumps up to serious temps, then half sear your low grade beef on a griddle? LoL

Should have just got the Rec Tec Bullseye...it's a pellet grill you know...

Lol. I have a Rec Tec Stampede. See the signature.

I use it for long low and slow cooks of pork butts, briskets, shorter cooks of ribs, grilling wings, burgers, bacon wrapped asparagus, shrimp, ABTs, etc.

Sometimes in my KJ, I prefer to sear on my griddle, sometimes on my grates on my Kamado Joe, cast iron or SS. But never on my Rec Tec.

I've done everything from Japanese Wagyu to what you refer to as "low grade beef" on my KJ, which is capable of "serious temps", as you put it.

But a Bullseye? ....Well, most importantly, the Bullseye didn't score very well from at least one review type site that I respect and trust. Excerpts from the article are in italics.

https://amazingribs.com/grill-smoker/rec-tec-bullseye-review

"...As a grill, the Bullseye gets hotter than most pellet smokers, yet its searing capability is modest (keep in mind, our standard for searing is all-over Maillarded brown surface on a steak not grill marks)...."

"...But by the time we got even faint sear marks on a thin strip steak it was overdone."

Secondly, yes, I know that the Bullseye is a pellet grill. However I don't like the idea of seeing smoke rising from a hopper full of pellets in any pellet grill when it's brought up to "serious temperatures".

"....Notice anything missing? Bullseye has no chimney or exhaust damper. We didn't think about it until this started happening...."

<pic of a hopper full of smoking pellets is shown at this point>. In short, the second reason why I don't own one, is it is my opinion that it's a poorly designed tool.

"...The smoke and heat travel up from the cooking chamber through the pellet feed auger tube and into the 15 pound pellet hopper. We fear this could start a fire in the pellet hopper.... But.Bullseye is particularly susceptible to it because the cooking chamber lid seals snugly like a good charcoal kettle grill, and there is no chimney or exhaust damper for heat and smoke to escape. REC TEC's solution is a bit of a kluge, a metal spacer that lifts the the lid to the cooking chamber open slightly (see below).."

And finally, Rec Tec has quit making/offering the Bullseye. I wonder why.

Don't get me wrong, 861° F is impressive at the area that you are pointing your device. But I'd have to seriously wonder what it would read at the same point in time had you opened the hopper lid of that Bullseye and pointed your device at the pellets if/while smoke was rising from them too.

Last edited:
With my Primo I have found that less is actually better. 750-900 is great if you are doing a reverse sear but I prefer steaks cooked at 550 degrees. Right amount of sear. If you cook a steak all the way to medium rare at such a high temp you will end up with a thick band of well done meat beneath the crust. Of course a high temp like this is great if you are a fan of Pittsburgh rare. Which I am no longer a fan of.

I agree with OP. Right tool for the job.

With my Primo I have found that less is actually better. 750-900 is great if you are doing a reverse sear but I prefer steaks cooked at 550 degrees. Right amount of sear. If you cook a steak all the way to medium rare at such a high temp you will end up with a thick band of well done meat beneath the crust. Of course a high temp like this is great if you are a fan of Pittsburgh rare. Which I am no longer a fan of.

I agree with OP. Right tool for the job.

I am the OP, and cannot overstate how much I appreciate your input.

The thread has evolved into a "personal taste" type thread, and I have absolutely no objections to that.

On the contrary, I welcome it and appreciate your perspective. The way I originally titled it, may have, and apparently did, step on some toes, and I could have...................... no, should have.......... worded it better.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. That's whatever tool you're using as your post illustrates.

Again I thank you for your input.

Last edited:
There's a lot of nonsense in this thread. It's like who can get the closest to the melting point of there grates for a sear off. A good sear can be done at 450-500 degrees and what you really are looking for is a dark brown, even crust, the signature of the maillard reaction. Also, getting your steak surface dry and free of moisture will aid in a good Browning. Black on your steak more than likely means you burnt the **** out of the crust because your damn grill was 1000 degrees.

Also, you can get a more even brown using the infared heat from the coals to make the browning, not the grate temp. There is a good argument on getting your coals hot, and then placing the (thin) grates over the coals and then your meat on right after. This will allow the infared to do the work and get an even browning.

Anyway, enough rambling.

Enjoy your steaks however you like!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm all for having the right tool for the job but sometimes that is not possible and you have to use what you have.

I have neither a pellet grill or a Kamado but I can get a good sear on any of my other grills I own.

Back